[SOLVED] What Happens if a drive in a RAID-1 Fails?

Kit McGuire

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
I see the previous thread was closed, but I need some guidance here. I have an HP XW4600 with RAID1. The main HDD was showing an "error" so I bought another the same size (WD Blue 1TB @ 5400 speed). I pulled the bad HDD and put the new one in and turned it on. I hit the "Ctl-I" to get into the RAID config page and was immediately lost as to what I need to do. Long story short I ended up with both drives wiped. I had to reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate and ALL the software as I had. I did lose some data, but could have been worse. Where did I go wrong?

USAFRet

Titan
An actual RAID 1 controller should just notify you of a failed member, and then automagically rebuild once you replace the failed drive.
The only issue is the downtime while the array rebuilds itself.

And, as you've seen, the RAID 1 is not a backup. You should have an actual backup for your system.
And if you have an easily recoverable backup, you probably don't need the RAID 1 at all.

popatim

Titan
To answer your Topic question: It will keep on working and report the failed drive/degraded array.

To answer the question within the thread, When you entered the Raid bios witht he replacement installed, you should have been presented with a 'Degraded Volume Detected' windows and asked to select the port of the disk to rebuild it with. Select the disk and the rebuild starts (only disks not already in a raid would be shown on this 'select a disk' screen.)

Kit McGuire

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
To answer your Topic question: It will keep on working and report the failed drive/degraded array.

To answer the question within the thread, When you entered the Raid bios witht he replacement installed, you should have been presented with a 'Degraded Volume Detected' windows and asked to select the port of the disk to rebuild it with. Select the disk and the rebuild starts (only disks not already in a raid would be shown on this 'select a disk' screen.)
Once I installed the new disk and went into the RAID bios section it didn't see any degraded volume obviously since I replaced it with the new drive. I honestly saw no indications of any rebuilding, etc. I assumed it would just automatically "MIRROR" from the good drive, but it did not. I was given 2 options: Create a RAID or Delete the RAID. I looked at each option but saw no hint of what exactly to do. Obviously deleting so I could make a new RAID was the wrong choice. Now I need to find some kind of documentation surrounding that HP RAID section in the bios if I can find it. NOT very user friendly.

Kit McGuire

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Exactly what I have here. Intel Raid bios. Only 4 options, Create, Delete, make NON-raid and Exit. Just wasn't sure what exactly to do after the new drive was installed with the Intel Raid bios step-by-step.