[SOLVED] What happens if the PC's SSD is replaced by other PC's SSD?

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
Take an SSD out of another PC which is the same as mone, brand & model & OS, all the same.
Will my PC start with that SSD on my PC?
Will that SSD boot into Windows on my PC?
Will this cause any damage?
Thanks.

Solution
Take an SSD out of another PC which is the same as mone, brand & model & OS, all the same.
Thanks.
Yes if same connection
99% chance it will BOOT but windows license is tied to motherboard so depending on particular windows (OEM or Retail) you'll have to do something about that.
No damage if you don't cause it.
Thanks.
Yes if same connection
99% chance it will BOOT but windows license is tied to motherboard so depending on particular windows (OEM or Retail) you'll have to do something about that.

Solution
Depends on PCs involved. Essentially hardware has to be identical for for OS drive transplantation to work properly.
Possible issues:
boot mode compatibility - system doesn't boot,​
driver incompatibilities - bsods, crashes, bad performance,​
windows activation issues - can not activate windows.​

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
I think you’d be chasing endless weird little issues forever. Better to do a fresh install of windows on it, after copying any files you might need.

if it has bitlocker enabled, then this will not work. If it is part of any kind of managed computing environment like an office or school, this will not work.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks.
If all the parts are identical, it should work.
Should....

But if the parts are actually identical, why this swap?

And it WILL have licensing issues.

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
Yes if same connection
Thank you.
My purpose for the swapping if fulfilled IF IT BOOTS.
That's all I want to know, to test if the boot system on that SSD is good and working.

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
Not likely to cause any damage. Make sure your BIOS is setup for UEFI or Legacy as required. Windows will likely run fine.

As always make sure your data is backed up :)

All I want to know if whether the OS on that SSD can boot Windows. I have no intention to run the OS on this SSD on another PC.

"Make sure your BIOS is setup for UEFI or Legacy as required."
How to do this, please?

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
Depends on PCs involved. Essentially hardware has to be identical for for OS drive transplantation to work properly.
Possible issues:
boot mode compatibility - system doesn't boot,​
driver incompatibilities - bsods, crashes, bad performance,​
windows activation issues - can not activate windows.​
Thank you.
Sorry, I did not describe clearly.
The 2 PCs are of the same make, same model, produced in the same year, and run on the same Windows version.
The purpose for the swapping test is to find out whether the boot system on one of the SSDs is normal.
The testing PC will be turned off as soon as the OS on that SSD boots into Windows or shows any error message.
Does a test like this cause the problem as you have listed, please?

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
I think you’d be chasing endless weird little issues forever. Better to do a fresh install of windows on it, after copying any files you might need.

if it has bitlocker enabled, then this will not work. If it is part of any kind of managed computing environment like an office or school, this will not work.

Thank you.
Bitlocker is installed together with Windows. Is this correct?
If it is, it certainly a big problem if running or using the swapped OS on different PCs.
My purpose of the swapping test is not to use or to run the OS on the SSDs.
I simply need to see if the OS & boot system of the SSD of the PC which has issues is good & not causing boot issues.
As soon as the testing PC boots with the other PC's SSD, I can normally say that that SSD is good & the boot system on that SSD is good. This is the purpose of the swapping.
Do you think I MAY DO THAT, please?

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
If all the parts are identical, it should work.
Should....

But if the parts are actually identical, why this swap?

And it WILL have licensing issues.

Thank you.
The swapping is just for testing, to test if the SSD & the boot function on that SSD are good.
As soon as that OS on that SSD boots on the testing PC, the PC will be turned off.
Have no intention to run or to use the swapped OS.
Would this induce any issues or problems to the testing PC?

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
I simply need to see if the OS & boot system of the SSD of the PC which has issues is good & not causing boot issues.

Ok. You didn’t mention that until now. It’s still a bad idea, the test won’t be conclusive. If it doesn’t work, you won’t know why not.

A much easier way to test for this would be to reinstall windows on the PC having issues and see if that fixes the issues.

Do you think I MAY DO THAT, please?

Do what you like, it’s not like anyone on here could stop you anyway.

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
Ok. You didn’t mention that until now. It’s still a bad idea, the test won’t be conclusive. If it doesn’t work, you won’t know why not.

A much easier way to test for this would be to reinstall windows on the PC having issues and see if that fixes the issues.

Do what you like, it’s not like anyone on here could stop you anyway.
Thank you very much.
I will not do the test since it won't be conclusive.
Really appreciate your help.