What happens if there is dust on the thermal paste?

soheilsarhangzadeh

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
I unpacked my Wraith Stealth cooler, thinking there was a protective film on the thermal paste, and a few bits of dust stuck to the pre applied paste. Will it have any problems cooling my Ryzen 3 1200?

Solution
Depends how thick the dust is. Most of the heat transfer from CPU to heatsink isn't via the paste, it's via metal-on-metal contact. This is why you can attach the CPU without any paste and it'll still work (it'll run about 20-30 C hotter, but it'll work). The only role of the paste is to fill in microscopic air gaps. Paste conducts heat about 100x better than air, but metal-on-metal conducts heat about 100x better than paste.

If it's a fine mote of dust, it'll probably have little to no effect. When you clip on the heat sink's compression straps, it'll squash the dust down flat. But if it's a bigger mote of dust or there's a lot of it (or worse, there's dirt or hair), it'll prevent the heatsink from sitting flat on the CPU...
Depends how thick the dust is. Most of the heat transfer from CPU to heatsink isn't via the paste, it's via metal-on-metal contact. This is why you can attach the CPU without any paste and it'll still work (it'll run about 20-30 C hotter, but it'll work). The only role of the paste is to fill in microscopic air gaps. Paste conducts heat about 100x better than air, but metal-on-metal conducts heat about 100x better than paste.

If it's a fine mote of dust, it'll probably have little to no effect. When you clip on the heat sink's compression straps, it'll squash the dust down flat. But if it's a bigger mote of dust or there's a lot of it (or worse, there's dirt or hair), it'll prevent the heatsink from sitting flat on the CPU, reducing metal-on-metal contact.

Solution