[SOLVED] what happens if you put a 95w cpu in a 125w mobo?

Solution
Sure, FX-6300 would allow the VRMs to run cooler than they would with the 125W FX-8350. If you already had an FX-8350, you could underclock or undervolt also.

g-unit1111

Titan
At the very least, your motherboard won't power on. At the most it could fry your motherboard and take your components with it. It's a gamble and something that most likely won't end well. And yes as was previously stated ALWAYS check the qualified CPU vendor list before purchasing.

At the very least, your motherboard won't power on. At the most it could fry your motherboard and take your components with it. It's a gamble and something that most likely won't end well. And yes as was previously stated ALWAYS check the qualified CPU vendor list before purchasing.
The motherboard only provides the power the CPU requires. It will only hurt if your CPU requires more power than the motherboard is designed to provide.

I've been wrong before. If you think I'm wrong I'd ask you to provide reference to it.

kanewolf

Titan
It depends on the specific motherboard and CPU. You might put an 8xxx series CPU in a 100 series motherboard. The wattage would be lower but it wouldn't work because even though the socket is OK the 100 series motherboards don't support 8th or 9th generation CPUs.

It depends on the specific motherboard and CPU. You might put an 8xxx series CPU in a 100 series motherboard. The wattage would be lower but it wouldn't work because even though the socket is OK the 100 series motherboards don't support 8th or 9th generation CPUs.
That brings us to BIOS version compatibility. Newer generations of CPUs on a previous socket typically require a BIOS update.

g-unit1111

Titan

Wasn't that one of the biggest problems with the FX-9590? That it required way more wattage than the socket and motherboard could handle?

g-unit1111

Titan
The motherboard only provides the power the CPU requires. It will only hurt if your CPU requires more power than the motherboard is designed to provide.

I've been wrong before. If you think I'm wrong I'd ask you to provide reference to it.

You probably could if it's the same socket and CPU type. Where the problems I think could lie are in the motherboard's capcitors and PCB, that was one of the problems that plagued the FX-9590. It was a 225W CPU and it was made for a socket that really could only handle, at max, 125W, which was the stated wattage of the FX-8350. So only some 990FX boards could handle it, whereas anything older than that like the 760T, even though it was AM3, could not.

george1lacour

Commendable
Sep 16, 2017
thank you all, and if you don't mind me asking, if the mobo was made to run a 125w AM3 CPU like the FX-8350 but the VRMs run way to hot. what i'm trying to say is would the VRMs run colder if i put a 95w CPU like the FX-6300 would that make the VRMs run colder on the same mobo?.

i'm trying to make something out of nothing for a friend

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

Uh, no. Many AM3 ASUS boards had "140 Watt cpu support" Silkscreened on them. The cpu's you could put in the socket ranged from 25 watt Athlons II's to 125 watt six core Thubans. There is no gamble and your board won't fry.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED
thank you all, and if you don't mind me asking, if the mobo was made to run a 125w AM3 CPU like the FX-8350 but the VRMs run way to hot. what i'm trying to say is would the VRMs run colder if i put a 95w CPU like the FX-6300 would that make the VRMs run colder on the same mobo?.

i'm trying to make something out of nothing for a friend

The 6300 would probably be a little better. At stock speeds and voltages that is. That being said I have overclocked 6300's and the system pulled more than 200 watts from the wall. I have overclocked four core 4300's to 5 GHz and pulled more than 200 watts from the wall running Cinebench. You didn't mention the board the dude has.