What happens if you put an intel processor in an amd socket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD sockets are of a PGA design, or Pin Grid Array. The pins located on the processor and are inserted into the socket where they make contact with the electrical contacts when the socket latch is locked. The same mechanism holds the processor in place.

Intel sockets are of an LGA design, or Land Grid Array. The pins are located on the motherboard and are forced into contact with the pads on the processor when the socket latch is secured around the frame of the processor package.

If you were try try and force an AMD processor into an Intel socket you would simply end up with a slew of bent and twisted pins, a useless processor, and a useless motherboard.

if you were to try and force an Intel processor into an AMD socket, you would just look foolish because that's impossible to do

Back in the early 90s that used to be the case. AMD processors were clones of Intel's 80x86 processors, some were actually faster and highly regarded as a result.

The last processor family to be socket compatible with both AMD and Intel CPUs was Socket 7 which supported Intel Pentium, Pentium MMX, AMD K5 and K6, Cyrix 6x86, and a few others. Starting with the Pentium II and K7 they diverged and have been incompatible ever since.

spat55

Distinguished

I have learned something :) something rather old too! Shame AMD can't rival Intel anymore, as Intel are just being able to do what they want.

It's true that AMD can't really compete with Intel at the high performance level, they're competing extremely well at the mass market and budget levels.

DSzymborski

Titan
Core i5 6500 with gigabyte z170 dh3 motherboard.
PC was purchased at the end of 2016, motherboard started tripping the pc in April of 2018 and officially died in February this year.

Not sure if there's an actual question involved, but I am sure that posting this in an unrelated thread from nine years ago is not the proper place for this. I'm also sure that this is not going to be a thing that is going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.