Question What happens to my newly installed Windows 11 after I disable CSM support?

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
Hello it's me again, your daily asker lol. I'm running in yet again another problem with my PC.

I basically had my pc wiped out and have a new windows 11 installed which is a genuine one. I also upgrade my CPU, RAM, AND PSU.

Now my main problem is I can't play Valorant without enabling secure boot and I only realized that now. The CSM support on my GA Gigabyte A520M DS3H AC is enabled.

What do I do? Because I searched online and the articles says that my windows 11 will be wiped out if I disabled the CSM support.

Lutfij

Titan
I basically had my pc wiped out and have a new windows 11 installed
Might want to go into BIOS, make sure you're on the latest BIOS version, then enabled Secure Boot and disable CSM, then proceed to reinstall the OS in offline mode., they manually install all drivers with the latest version in an elevated command, then hook up to the www to run OS updates.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
I basically had my pc wiped out and have a new windows 11 installed
Might want to go into BIOS, make sure you're on the latest BIOS version, then enabled Secure Boot and disable CSM, then proceed to reinstall the OS in offline mode., they manually install all drivers with the latest version in an elevated command, then hook up to the www to run OS updates.
But the option in my BIOS needs to disable the CSM support first before I can access the Secure Boot option. And I had my PC serviced from a pc store and I have no idea and experience with installing windows.

Victor_VI

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2016
Hello it's me again, your daily asker lol. I'm running in yet again another problem with my PC.

I basically had my pc wiped out and have a new windows 11 installed which is a genuine one. I also upgrade my CPU, RAM, AND PSU.

Now my main problem is I can't play Valorant without enabling secure boot and I only realized that now. The CSM support on my GA Gigabyte A520M DS3H AC is enabled.

What do I do? Because I searched online and the articles says that my windows 11 will be wiped out if I disabled the CSM support.
Windows 11 cannot be loaded in legacy. It is exclusive to UEFI. This means that your OS will not be affected if you disable CSM support. You will simply be unable to boot from any legacy devices once it is disabled.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
But the option in my BIOS needs to disable the CSM support first before I can access the Secure Boot option. And I had my PC serviced from a pc store and I have no idea and experience with installing windows.
This is correct, turning on Secure Boot requires CSM to be switched off. But CSM is for Windows 8 or 7 or XP, or very old hardware. You should not have had it enabled for a Win 11 machine, but this is very complicated and difficult to learn when you're just trying to put a working PC together.

But yeah, you should never need CSM on on a PC in 2024. or 2015 even...
I searched online and the articles says that my windows 11 will be wiped out if I disabled the CSM support.
Links?

If windows was installed in UEFI mode, then disabling CSM doesn't cause any problems.
Windows 11 normally supports UEFI only.

Anyway - you can check install mode with msinfo32. Look for BIOS mode value.

msinfo32-uefi-bios-mode.webp

TRENDING THREADS