What happens when system needs more watts than power supply?

Jun 11, 2018
I have an optiplex 390 with 265 watt power supply prefered 240 used.. I have a core i7-2600 3.40ghz I think and 8 gb ram with 500 gb hdd no graphics card. I want to use a gtx 750 ti which probably needs another psu. And I want to know what happens when psu is too weak to power the whole system..

Again, depends on the quality of the PSU. A good one could pop but not damage the rest of the PC; a bad one can damage other parts of the PC.

If memory serves a GTX 750 has 350W as a recommended minimum for a PSU. It could run on a lower rated PSU, though personally I wouldn't risk it having had a PSU pop on me before so I'm more cautious. There are those who have taken the risk.

Jun 11, 2018
Again, depends on the quality of the PSU. A good one could pop but not damage the rest of the PC; a bad one can damage other parts of the PC.

If memory serves a GTX 750 has 350W as a recommended minimum for a PSU. It could run on a lower rated PSU, though personally I wouldn't risk it having had a PSU pop on me before so I'm more cautious. There are those who have taken the risk.
As I said I have an original dell psu with 80 plus gold rating which I think is good and thanks for answering

Mar 5, 2019
I have an optiplex 390 with 265 watt power supply prefered 240 used.. I have a core i7-2600 3.40ghz I think and 8 gb ram with 500 gb hdd no graphics card. I want to use a gtx 750 ti which probably needs another psu. And I want to know what happens when psu is too weak to power the whole system..
it is depend upon which quality of PSU you are using