What happens when Windows 10 expires?

imStorm3r

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
Hi, so my Windows 10 will expire soon on 20.12.2017 and I keep getting the notification "Your Windows license will expire soon".
I want to know if it's mandatory to reinstall the Windows before the expiration date or not. (I have Windows 10 Pro 64-bit)
I saw an article on the internet saying that I will lose all my data and stuff, but my friend says that he had his Windows expired for 4 months and I will only lose some features and my desktop background..
I just wanna know if I'm safe so I can continue with my Windows or not. Thanks.

Solution
You will have to get a full licence key for your version from the shop you bought it from or
buy a new windows 10 pro 64bit licence key and edit your current expired windows key of your windows installation.

If you don´t do that, you are running a non legal windows version.

Windows will work but have some limitations like your friend said before.
what kind of windows 10 licence is it? normally if you bought a copy of windows 10 from a legit website or it was included with your computer it would never expire.

the only types of windows licences that would expire are volume licence or if you are using a windows insider build of windows 10

imStorm3r

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017

A guy from a PC shop installed it from an USB.

how long ago was that?

You will have to get a full licence key for your version from the shop you bought it from or
buy a new windows 10 pro 64bit licence key and edit your current expired windows key of your windows installation.

If you don´t do that, you are running a non legal windows version.

Windows will work but have some limitations like your friend said before.

Solution

imStorm3r

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017

Half a year

imStorm3r

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017

Then that means i'm ok and i won't lose my data after the expiration date?

sounds like whoever did install windows 10 on your PC cracked it so it would show as activated because if it was left unactivated you would have seen a warning like that much sooner. best you can do now is use it unactivated or purchase a legit copy

TRENDING THREADS