[SOLVED] What happens

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
if I were to connect my current C:drive that has windows on it, to another computer that already has windows on it:

- Will the system not know what to do with it and crash? Or will it be considered a secondary drive and I will have access to some stuff?

- Will I be able to copy paste stuff to and from it?

I am asking before trying, because I want to do a fresh Windows install on a new SSD drive I got, but don't know what I should do with my current C:drive. Back it up and wipe it, or leave it as is and connect it as secondary drive?....

Any recommendations?

Solution
if I were to connect my current C:drive that has windows on it, to another computer that already has windows on it:

- Will the system not know what to do with it and crash? Or will it be considered a secondary drive and I will have access to some stuff?

I am asking before trying, because I want to do a fresh Windows install on a new SSD drive I got, but don't know what I should do with my current C:drive. Back it up and wipe it, or leave it as is and connect it as secondary drive?....

Any recommendations?
You should be able to copy to/from the drive. Assuming you don't change the BIOS, the PC will ignore the second drive from a boot perspective and assign it a drive...

mu_p1

Prominent
Jan 21, 2022
You will have a dual-boot setup if you install a drive with Windows on it onto another computer.
But you may have some issues.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan

Any recommendations?
You should be able to copy to/from the drive. Assuming you don't change the BIOS, the PC will ignore the second drive from a boot perspective and assign it a drive letter as a data drive.
The above statement of "dual boot" is not accurate, in that most random motherboard changes (which is what moving a bootable hard drive around really is) results in a a non-bootable situation. So it is likely that even if you changed the BIOS to try and boot from the "foreign" drive it would not succeed.

Reactions: nbartolo7
Solution

mu_p1

Prominent
Jan 21, 2022
You should be able to copy to/from the drive. Assuming you don't change the BIOS, the PC will ignore the second drive from a boot perspective and assign it a drive letter as a data drive.
The above statement of "dual boot" is not accurate, in that most random motherboard changes (which is what moving a bootable hard drive around really is) results in a a non-bootable situation. So it is likely that even if you changed the BIOS to try and boot from the "foreign" drive it would not succeed.
I didn't mean you could take a drive from another system, I mean getting a blank drive and installing Windows to that.

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
Thank you. Ok. And what from the old C drive which would now be recognized as the D drive like you said, could I access? Pretty much all files, except system files?

Also, stupid question, but, is wiping a drive and doing fresh windows install on it, produce the exact same result as installing windows on a brand-new drive?

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you. Ok. And what from the old C drive which would now be recognized as the D drive like you said, could I access? All files?

Also, stupid question, but, is wiping a drive and doing fresh windows install on it, the exact same as installing windows on a brand-new drive?
As long as it was not encrypted with bitlocker or something. If you just want to access existing data, a USB dock is more convenient.

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
Since I'm anyway gonna format my drive or install windows on a new drive, can i switch to W11? Or will that cause problems when I will try to restore my backup from my windows 10 stuff from old drive?