What hardware determines if a game can be installed or not on two different computers with the same OS?

XistenZ

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10, and I thought I'd try to install an old game (Constructor, made for Windows 95). To my happy, happy surprise I only needed to adjust the compatibility (you know those settings who had absolutely no effects after Windows XP?) and it worked! Flawlessly, wow. Windows 10 said something about "I just need to install DirectPlay, k?" which I let it do, took 3 seconds and that was it. No idea what it is but seems like good shit.

I then decided this was reason enough to upgrade my desktop as well, but to my sad, sad surprise I can't install the game on this machine no matter how I set the compatibilities. It just won't load the installer (the screen flashes, sets the resolution to like 2x2 pixels, then back again and nothing more happens). I thought this was odd, and I assume it must have something to do with the components, most likely the CPU.

Anyone that could shed some brief, but informative "why" this is?

Hello... Typically the older games/software have 16 bit installer file... What I found was that Windows 7 would not load it VS Windows XP will. I just copied the directory/files from my XP to 7 machine and got the OLDER app to work for me... So I Didn't further investigate my problem with a 16 bit software installer into Windows 64 bit.

1) Do a search for 16 bit software install instructions for your OS.
2) Could be a security issue/setting between your two different machines.
3) Look at the install Media files/folders and see if there is a 32 bit installer file there.
4) Look to see if your laptop is 32 bit Windows version?
5) Look to see if your desktop is 64 bit Windows version?

XistenZ

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Neither of my computers were salvaged from the stone-age so they're both 64-bit.
I'm not interesting in tips about trying to fix it, I'd just use DOSbox for that :) I'm just curious about answers as to why it won't work. Like "oh, well it may be because some CPUs use the X-technology which makes this and that to behave like so".

Hello... There are A lot of MODERN 32 bit versions of Windows 7 out there... Please look again to verify... B )
It's not a CPU/hardware thing... B )
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9106825/how-to-execute-16-bit-installer-on-64-bit-win7

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2045345/run-an-old-program-on-a-new-pc.html

Look at DETAILs of the file you are trying to load with... Is it a 16 bit file?
What is the MEDIa that you are using to install it?... try coping the contents on a hardrive folder and installing it from there, And see what error message you encounter.
Is your laptop Windows 7 an OEM version Install?

XistenZ

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
It's a 32-bit file (or at least x86, that might correspond to 16 as well?)
I'm installing from a CD, copying the contents to harddrive makes no difference (program must be run in Windows 95 using directX 5).
My laptop is Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium, OEM -upgraded to Windows 10.

Now that you made me mention it, I had Windows 7 Professional on my desktop and thus upgrading it gave me Windows 10 Pro. I havn't checked but I'm pretty sure my laptop have Windows 10 home. So I'll have to see if I can downgrade my pro to home then :)

Hello... Yes x86 can be 16 bit or 32 bit...
Don't do any Downgrade!!! from Pro to Home... not a OS Version problem here.

Copy the Program Folder from your Laptop to a Folder in your Desktop with the same name and try it... Also try Coping the Shortcut you created on the Laptop for it... B )