Question what hardware do I need to accomplish this?

njitgrad

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
I'm looking for some advice on how to set up a home office with a dual monitor setup that can be used for either my work laptop or home PC.

Here is my current configuration:

At WORK my Dell laptop gets docked into a docking station on my desk. From the cables coming out of that docking station I have a dual monitor setup on my desk, a keyboard and wireless mouse. Essentially it feels like I am working on a PC but I'm not.

At HOME I have a custom built PC that is currently connected to a Samsung wide screen monitors via HDMI using a Asus GTX660.

I occasionally work from home but hate to use my laptop at home because of the small (and single) laptop display. I want to be able to work at home like I do when I'm in the office.

I intend to purchase a dual monitor setup at home that will allow me to be used easily, seamlessly and interchangeably with BOTH my work laptop and my home PC without having to unplug things and plug them back in.

Can anyone offer any advice on what I would need?

Among some of the questions I have are:

1. Do I need to purchase a docking station for home?
  2. Do I need to update my video card on my PC to one that has dual HDMI ports?

Thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
Model for your Dell laptop? An SKU would also help us two fold. If you know you're not switching jobs(and that you're secure where you are and don't need to return the laptop) then you can invest into the same docking station as the one in your office. If my assumption is correct, the Samsung panel you own might have more than one input for display. In which case the dock can be used with the laptop and the display at home without you needing to disconnect or reconnect anything. Ofc we're only factoring in you connecting and disconnecting the laptop from the dock.

Model for your Samsung display at home?

As for you latter question, I don't think you would need to do invest in a GPU, not while the market is upside down.

njitgrad

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
Model for your Dell laptop? An SKU would also help us two fold. If you know you're not switching jobs(and that you're secure where you are and don't need to return the laptop) then you can invest into the same docking station as the one in your office. If my assumption is correct, the Samsung panel you own might have more than one input for display. In which case the dock can be used with the laptop and the display at home without you needing to disconnect or reconnect anything. Ofc we're only factoring in you connecting and disconnecting the laptop from the dock.

Model for your Samsung display at home?

As for you latter question, I don't think you would need to do invest in a GPU, not while the market is upside down.

The laptop is a Dell Precision 7510.

The single Samsung monitor I have at home now is not intended to be used in the final configuration. I am going to buy two new identical monitors for the purpose of using them for both my home PC and work laptop when I bring it home.