[SOLVED] what hardware do i need to upgrade to gaming computers

Nov 25, 2018
please help me what to buy to upgrade my computers to gaming computers
I just bought two gaming monitors optimx 24' with 144ghz refresh
thank you

i have
hp intel icore 7, 7th generation, 12 g of memory, 2.9ghz processor, 64bit processor
window 10
also
levono intel i.5 3330 cpu at 3ghz., 8 g of memory, 64 bit , window 8

also
hp 260 - p026
icore 3, 6th generation, 8 g of memory, 3.1 ghz processer, window 10
window 10
Thank you.

Solution
HP Slimline Desktop - 260-p026

This PC is not very upgradable due to the slim size.

Your best bet would be the icore 7, 7th generation, 12 g of memory, 2.9ghz processor. You can probably reuse those parts.

Core i5-3330 CPU is a year 2012 model, socket 1155. You can still find motherboards that old in the used marketplace such as eBay.

You should take a look at bare PC cases to put your parts in.
https://www.newegg.com/Computer-Cases/Category/ID-9
HP Slimline Desktop - 260-p026

This PC is not very upgradable due to the slim size.

Your best bet would be the icore 7, 7th generation, 12 g of memory, 2.9ghz processor. You can probably reuse those parts.

Core i5-3330 CPU is a year 2012 model, socket 1155. You can still find motherboards that old in the used marketplace such as eBay.

You should take a look at bare PC cases to put your parts in.
https://www.newegg.com/Computer-Cases/Category/ID-9

Solution
Dec 2, 2018
I recently had a discussion with a friend of mine about what makes a gaming computer a gaming computer. The consensus was a couple of things. 1) dedicated GPU. A computer cannot be called a "gaming" computer unless it has the graphics removed from the CPU. Get the best graphics card that you can afford and that will fit in your case and on your motherboard. 2) Usually an upgraded PSU. Having a graphics card is normally going to take much more power than the power supplied by the OEM PSU. I would suggest 750w or more depending on the requirements of the GPU. 3) Many gaming rigs have upgraded cooling. This could be any thing from a larger fan and heat pipes on the heat sink to a water/coolant system that cools the CPU, chipset and the GPU. Another thing you want to do when you can is to get as much RAM and the fastest RAM you can. RAM has slowly become one of the more expensive items in a high end rig, well, any rig for that matter.

Sounds like your stereotyping gaming PCs.

No argument there. Although the Ryzen 2200G/2400G have good enough IGPs to play the lighter games like Dota2, LoL, CS:GO, Overwatch, Fortnite, etc at 1080p low to medium settings. Since an enormous amount of people play those types of games...a dGPU-less PC could still be considered a "gaming" PC.

True statement. The power supplies in OEM PCs are tightly controlled/spec'd to only provide enough watts for the original build.

A powerful CPU and an RTX2080Ti draws about 300W while gaming. A system with a Vega64 GPU draws about 400W. You generally want some headroom to have the PSU running at ~50% duty cycle under those loads, but a good quality 650W PSU is enough for any single-GPU system.

Not absolutely necessary, though upgraded CPU cooling does lower temps and/or noise. AMD's Ryzen CPUs come with pretty good stock coolers though (more of an exception to the rule in recent history). Certainly "gaming" PCs could average a higher number of case fans to cope with the added power/heat output of the more powerful hardware inside.

16GB is plenty for today's games (I'd say we're actually between 8GB and 16GB right now...say 12GB average), but yes, RAM requirements always seem to have doubled within the lifespan of the CPU for as long as I can remember. RAM speed is wishy-washy. It does help, but it ranges from negligible to single digit %. Stick with the sweet spot at time of purchase (right now that's DDR4-3000 or DDR4-3200). Also, buy a mobo with 4 ram slots, but get a 2 stick kit of RAM for your initial build. That allows you to add later, rather than replace.

Dec 2, 2018

Thank you so much Tennis2 for agreeing with me.