What hardware is needed for a Linux Home Server?

JessieJ

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I have a spare PSU, case, Memory, HDD laying around. I'd like to pick up a cheap CPU / MOBO combo and build a Linux Server. Not sure what type of server I'll ultimately end up with < web server, NAS server, or other >, it's a project box that will find a permanent use after I'm done exploring Linux server features and capabilities.

Beyond RAM, CPU, Ethernet or Wireless Network connection, what features should I be thing of when putting together a box.

* would a 1045t be a good choice for CPU. ( It's low power consumption when using 3 cores and pretty cheap these days )
* Will there be hardware expansion besides redundant hard drives that I should consider when choosing MOBO features, or will the cheapest mATX board included in a combo cover all my needs. What features are important for Linux server MOBO.
* What features should I be looking for in a case? Do I need to add a card slot or will the USB and CD/DVD drive cover my needs. Bluetooth needed ? etc ?
* Beyond managing files, can a server be used to store content and directly stream from to wireless device. Can a server be used as a Recording device similar to a HTPC - Or - is it strictly file storage and and management.
* would the interface be more or less via a PC to a wireless device?

I just started reading up on Ubuntu, and have been tinkering with the Ubuntu Desktop as an alternative Boot on my Windows 7 PC. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Holiday sales are coming up, real soon.

kpholmes9

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
let me hack away at some of these,

****** your questions
# my reply
---------------------------------------------
would a 1045t be a good choice for CPU. ( It's low power consumption when using 3 cores and pretty cheap these days ) yes this looks like a great choice! with servers the more cores the better, your server will be running many "services" ie ftp, ssh, media server, smb, web, torrent. and the more cores you have the better your cpu will be able to manage all these services all at once.

****** Will there be hardware expansion besides redundant hard drives that I should consider when choosing MOBO features, or will the cheapest mATX board included in a combo cover all my needs. What features are important for Linux server MOBO.

# i dont know what your needs are. in my case i only need my mobo to connect my CPU, Ram, Network Card, and Multiple hard drive together. if you plan to get a raid card, or something down the line its always nice to have some sort of pci slot. go with the cheap combo now, save your money and use the computer, THEN next year buy a more powerful complete server that you plan out. Depending on the needs and struggles you accumulated during the year, you will then be able to buy the server you need.

****** What features should I be looking for in a case? Do I need to add a card slot or will the USB and CD/DVD drive cover my needs. Bluetooth needed ? etc ?

# Number of Hard drive bays are probably the most important, but it all depends on what your using the server for. I think having the ability to fit more Hard Drives later down the line is more important over bluetooth or a DVD drive. Especially if you want to setup some sort of RAID. I dont have a DVD drive or bluetooth in mine, and dont want/need them. get a usb dvd drive for the odd times you want to reinstall the OS or something. probably dont need a video card either. most servers dont even have a GUI. If you choose to load a some graphical desktop to the server, linux doesnt require alot of resources so you would be fine with just the onboard graphics. your only going to be using the GUI to change config files and setup stuff. its also possible to install linux from a USB pen drive.

****** Beyond managing files, can a server be used to store content and directly stream from to wireless device. Can a server be used as a Recording device similar to a HTPC - Or - is it strictly file storage and and management.

# yes. look at plex or subsonic. i use subsonic personally, but both can serve media to other computers and mobile devices! in your network or if you set it up you can connect from the internet while your out and about and access your data/media.

# you can record TV using the linux software MythTV.

****** would the interface be more or less via a PC to a wireless device?

# dont really understand this question. sorry..