What has happened to my Mobo/CPU while OCing Phenom II 940?

rapsux321

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I was configuring a simple overclock (3.5GHZ) on Phenom II 940 paired with an MSI K9N2 Platinum board when my system shut off entirely. I had only adjusted the multiplier and upped the voltage to 1.45. I have an Antec 900 case and Sunbeam core contact 120MM CPU fan. Temps were showing in the low 50s C before the crash under prime testing. The system will not turn on now, the lights on the motherboard light up when the I/O switch is on, but the case power button does nothing unless I unplug the 8 pin power connector to the motherboard, then all the fans spin and components appear to come to life, but obviously no post. My question is... is the motherboard partially fried, or is the CPU done for? What could be causing these symptoms? I don't want to plug another CPU in if would place it in harms way as well.

I have tried clearing CMOS etc.. something hardware wise is definitely wrong.

rapsux321

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Alright, took out the 940 and popped in a simple X2 7550, same problem with the MSI board. Took the 940 and put it in another system, booted to windows no problems. My guess is the northbridge is fried on the MSI board, even though I didn't touch the northbridge, something happened that resulted in power being unable to make it to the atx +12v connector on the board to power the CPU etc... Do you guys agree, or do you think the MSI board might be functioning, should I bother testing the MSI board with another PSU?

rapsux321

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
The MSI board does have an 8 PIN 12v connector, so I connected the 8 pin from the PSU, could this be the issue? is it possible to connect only the 4 pin and power it, even if it has an 8 pin connector on the motherboard?

Its an Apevia Aqua Power 700 watt, 58 amps over 4 rails

rapsux321

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
But I tried a different PSU with both 4 and 8 Pin connectors and similar wattage/amps and the same board symptoms resulted - this would mean it isn't the PSU. Furthermore, the PSU powers on all the fans etc.. when the 8 pin is disconnected, so the 8 pin connection must have fried.

princeamd

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
hey i have the same mainboad and cpu, 5hours ago it happened, overclocked at 3.6ghz, and after 30min system went off i tried it with 2 other cpu , it did not post, i took off the heatsink from the mother board [not the cpu heatsink] and i found that 1 of the cpu power IC or capacitor is @!.

princeamd

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
come to think about it the mainboard cpu is limited to 140watts, overclocking to high and setting the vcore to 1.5 caused the overload on those chips