Question What has happened to my motherboard?

Jan 19, 2022

Does anyone know what's happened to my PC?

CPU started running at 100C for unspecified amount of time.

Tried to resolve with new CPU cooler, but when I went to install I discovered this.

Is my Motherboard/CPU/both broken??

vh9bKUt.jpeg

That doesn't look like capacitor juice--it's even on top of the release lever so came from above, plus those are solid caps. While a broken heatpipe would explain the high temperatures, those only contain a little water inside.

I vote foreign substance, with hair in it. If that many tiny caps had released all their goo it shouldn't even run.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Jan 19, 2022
That doesn't look like capacitor juice--it's even on top of the release lever so came from above, plus those are solid caps. While a broken heatpipe would explain the high temperatures, those only contain a little water inside.

I vote foreign substance, with hair in it. If that many tiny caps had released all their goo it shouldn't even run.

I was using a corsair H100 to cool the cpu and I noticed that the RPM on the pump was 0 when I saw the cpu running at 100C, do you reckon it's possible that this could be fluid from the CPU cooled that has leaked down??

larkspur

Distinguished
Yeah it is quite possible that your AIO started leaking, and that is what's left of the coolant after the water evaporated. When the coolant ran out the pump motor burned out which is why the rpm of the pump motor went down to zero. You can certainly try cleaning it up with some isopropyl alcohol. You said the system still worked? You might just be lucky enough to clean that crap up, install a new cooler and be good to go.

Reactions: CanadianTom
it's possible that it may be some sort of oil leaking from the pump itself.

it's also possible that water leakage could've occurred and just turned color due to the surface it was cooking on but that should've dripped and/or run downwards towards the bottom of the board and not just pooled right on the area around the CPU.
unless your setup has the motherboard laying flat-out instead of upright.

Reactions: CanadianTom
Jan 19, 2022
it's possible that it may be some sort of oil leaking from the pump itself.

it's also possible that water leakage could've occurred and just turned color due to the surface it was cooking on but that should've dripped and/or run downwards towards the bottom of the board and not just pooled right on the area around the CPU.
unless your setup has the motherboard laying flat-out instead of upright.

The motherboard is horizontal, I'm gonna give it a go cleaning it. If it doesn't recover its just something I'll have to fix at my next payday. Thanks for the advice.

Jan 19, 2022
Yeah it is quite possible that your AIO started leaking, and that is what's left of the coolant after the water evaporated. When the coolant ran out the pump motor burned out which is why the rpm of the pump motor went down to zero. You can certainly try cleaning it up with some isopropyl alcohol. You said the system still worked? You might just be lucky enough to clean that crap up, install a new cooler and be good to go.

I'm gonna give it a go cleaning it. If it doesn't recover its just something I'll have to fix at my next payday. Thanks for the advice.