[SOLVED] What have I done?!

Blitz_

Commendable
Jun 28, 2017
Hoping someone can help as i'm at a total loss.

I recently tried to overclock my 1060 6gb, using MSI afterburner. going up slowly with the core clock, the system eventually lost stability and crashed.

Once i had powered back up it wouldn't boot to windows, advising there was an issue with the Kernal and to launch recovery.
recovery wouldn't load (instead it cycled back into the error message repeatedly) but after leaving the pc off for 20 minutes booted again and went straight into windows.

Used it for a good few hours, switched it off, then when i came to use it again, kernel issue.

My specs are below, but im confused as to how a GPU overclock failing has caused an issue with the kernel, especially when windows will boot and operate fine(usually after a cmos clear, but settings are already at default)

have i totally borked something? lol, please help!

Specs:
Mobo: MSI B350 Tomahawk
Cpu: Ryzen 1600x
Ram: 16Gb Corsair Ven. 2666 c15
GPU: Palit 1060 6gb Dual

Solution
Kernel problems typically stem from hardware issues. Any number of things can go wrong when you're overclocking.

What PSU do you have? A poor quality one may have caused some damage to the motherboard, which would explain why a CMOS clear sometimes works.

It might be time to start part swapping to try to narrow down what hardware is failing on you.

Blitz_

Commendable
Jun 28, 2017
Can you get into safe mode and which utility did you use to OC ? I would uninstall it as well as redo drivers.

I did say in the original post that I user MSI Afterburner to apply the OC. As soon as i got back into windows i cleared the saved OC and returned to defaults. So the OC is no longer applied. Still happens.

Blitz_

Commendable
Jun 28, 2017
Cpu isn't gpu. So resetting bios isn't going to help much. You'll have to eliminate the overclock on the gpu by getting back into Afterburner and undoing what's been done.

I know the CPU isn't the GPU, I am fully aware that resetting the bios should do absolutly ah heck all, but 7 times in a row isn't a coincidence. It's working to some degree.

The OC was eliminated as soon as i got back into windows.

The issue isn't the applied overclock, all has been returned to defaults but the problem persists.

Because it WILL boot to windows allbeit intermitently, I am not enclined to beleive it's an OS issue.
Boot drive is a fairly new 120gb SSD so shouldn't be failing and no other reason to assume it is

and i geniunly can't think of what else it could be, I will eventually do a full OS re-install which may resolve the issue, but would prefer an alternative lol

Starcruiser

Honorable
Kernel problems typically stem from hardware issues. Any number of things can go wrong when you're overclocking.

What PSU do you have? A poor quality one may have caused some damage to the motherboard, which would explain why a CMOS clear sometimes works.

It might be time to start part swapping to try to narrow down what hardware is failing on you.

Reactions: Blitz_
Solution

Blitz_

Commendable
Jun 28, 2017

Thank you, that makes a little more sense. I can swap hardware easy enough, with exception to the MOBO for now, however it's that intermitent that it'll be hard to pin down, I booted and shut down 6 times in a row today and it booted straight in all times, but then didn't later on.

I'll go back to basics with an old gpu and 1 stick of ram and get back to you :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It is possible that the original crash caused corruption in a driver. It's rare, but does happen.

I'd try a clean install (custom not express, with clean install checked) of the gpu drivers, and go into startup, CMD with Admin rights, and type in SFC /SCANNOW which will run through all the windows system files and fix any possible corruptions.

Reactions: Blitz_