[SOLVED] What HDD brand is most reliable??

system100m

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2014
I recently bought a WD 4TB that was DOA. Replaced with another, new one, which came out to also be defective out of the box.

What brand or model is known to be highly reliable? I'll never ever buy a WD again, and I've heard Seagate Barracuda isn't very good.

Solution
I recently bought a WD 4TB that was DOA. Replaced with another, new one, which came out to also be defective out of the box.

What brand or model is known to be highly reliable? I'll never ever buy a WD again, and I've heard Seagate Barracuda isn't very good.
Going by the fail reports from BackBlaze, they are ALL pretty similar. Except for a couple of outlying models and sizes (not brands), not more than a percentage point difference between all major brands.

And NONE of that is relevant to the single drive on your desk.
The last drive I had die was a WD. The one before that, a Seagate.

You want data security?
Backups.

USAFRet

Titan

Going by the fail reports from BackBlaze, they are ALL pretty similar. Except for a couple of outlying models and sizes (not brands), not more than a percentage point difference between all major brands.

And NONE of that is relevant to the single drive on your desk.
The last drive I had die was a WD. The one before that, a Seagate.

You want data security?
Backups.

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Specifically, if you are having these mailed to you the defect is far more likely the shipping handling than it is this high a failure rate.
The last HDD I attempted to order from "zon" came in it's cardboard shelf display box and one of their bubble wrap pouch things. The replacement came in a box with a few air pillows in it (after I requested they pack it properly).
Luckily SSD don't suffer these issues....but are well more expensive for bulk storage.

I recommend going to a brick and mortar retailer and paying a bit more.