[SOLVED] What HDMI cable works with the Acer SB230 monitor for freesync functionality?

Solution
No I am asking that question if my HDMI 2.0 cable is compatible or not with freesync because every time I try to activate freesync, it does this weird screen flickering in fullscreen games

I doubt it's cable but maybe. Be more to do with game, drivers or monitor settings. Try whichever game is having trouble, disable full screen optimisation under compatibility and see if that helps.

I also looked it up that HDMI 2.1 consistantly gives VRR or Variable Refresh Rate support

Hdmi 2.1 cables are higher bandwidth yes but the version number relates to the gpu's Hdmi version not the cable. Nvidia now does gsync with Hdmi 2.1 on 3000 series but the display also needs to be Hdmi 2.1. Rx 570 Hdmi version is 2.0b, your monitor...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No I am asking that question if my HDMI 2.0 cable is compatible or not with freesync because every time I try to activate freesync, it does this weird screen flickering in fullscreen games

I doubt it's cable but maybe. Be more to do with game, drivers or monitor settings. Try whichever game is having trouble, disable full screen optimisation under compatibility and see if that helps.

I also looked it up that HDMI 2.1 consistantly gives VRR or Variable Refresh Rate support

Hdmi 2.1 cables are higher bandwidth yes but the version number relates to the gpu's Hdmi version not the cable. Nvidia now does gsync with Hdmi 2.1 on 3000 series but the display also needs to be Hdmi 2.1. Rx 570 Hdmi version is 2.0b, your monitor 1.4. Can use 2.1 for the better cable but you won't get 2.1 features because that is port version specific. Can try it though, maybe your cable isn't the best quality.

All Hdmi cables, regardless what version says on packaging, is compatible with all Hdmi port versions.

Solution
Cables don't affect feature support except where specified (i.e. an "HDMI with Ethernet" cable is required for the inline ethernet feature to work). There are no "HDMI with VRR cables" because VRR is not a feature affected by cables. It will work the same on any cable since it does not have any dependency on any physical property of the cable. The "version" of the specification a feature was introduced in is not relevant, which is why HDMI cables do not have version numbers, they have speed ratings. There are no "HDMI 2.0 cables" or "HDMI 2.1 cables". There are High Speed HDMI cables and Ultra High Speed HDMI cables.

Also, The RX 570 does not support the HDMI 2.1 VRR protocol, FreeSync is achieved using the AMD FreeSync Over HDMI protocol, which predates the HDMI 2.1 Specification by several years and has no dependency on it. But this is what most monitors use when implementing FreeSync over HDMI anyway, the HDMI VRR protocol is not widely used yet.