What HP Needs for Slate to Take on iPad, and Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravicai

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Apple has cornered the market on easy to use products for the layman. For mainstream users; storefronts are where it's at. For powerusers; find it cheaper or free and install it yourself.

jmchien

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
how do you get 1080p playback on 1024x600?...

it's interesting to note that the Slate is rated for ~5hrs at 30Whr and ~10hrs at 25Whr for the iPad... wonder if it's b/c win7 is a full OS...

good article in general

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I only care about the tablet's physical usability. I want at least 3Gig of DDR3 RAM, like miniSODIMM... and running windows 7. There's enough apps already.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
It's... Windows. Why are you worrying about apps/music/movies/etc... stores? Again, it's Windows. Use iTunes if you wish, use Zune, use whatever. That's kind of the point of it being... Windows.

Definitely, navigation and interface are important, and if they could bump down the price a smidgen, that'd be jolly good, but I don't see why those other portions are worries.

Would be nice if they did 1024x768 as a resolution. I have a netbook and 1024x600 is irritating.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]It's... Windows. Why are you worrying about apps/music/movies/etc... stores? Again, it's Windows. Use iTunes if you wish, use Zune, use whatever. That's kind of the point of it being... Windows. Definitely, navigation and interface are important, and if they could bump down the price a smidgen, that'd be jolly good, but I don't see why those other portions are worries.Would be nice if they did 1024x768 as a resolution. I have a netbook and 1024x600 is irritating.[/citation]
Like I pointed out in my article, HP needs to address the mainstream users first, not those like you and others who know exactly what to look for. HP needs to go after the market that aren't technical and need hand holding. Only by integrated stores into the tablet itself, can this be attractive to that larger dimonination of people.

HP cannot expect to win by repeating the same things others have tried countless times before. It needs to do something different, something way more massive than what's been done. Look back at all the tablet makers that have thought the same "it's Windows, it's already all there," and see how successful they were.

They weren't.

Cheers.
/ Tuan

macbook

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]I only care about the tablet's physical usability. I want at least 3Gig of DDR3 RAM, like miniSODIMM... and running windows 7. There's enough apps already.[/citation]
The article did not say HP needs to make a whole bunch of new apps. What I said was that HP needs to support developers to retool existing good apps for use on the TouchSmart system. Why would they need to remake brand new apps when the Slate already runs Windows 7?

Desktop apps lazily slapped on a tablet because the develop didn't give two dimes about the user experience but want to gouge for money, don't belong there. Apps that have the same or similar functionality as their desktop counterparts with intuitive touch interfaces designed for a touch device, such as the Slate, is key..

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Good luck!
The main problem with HP's Slate is MS's failure to develop a lean functional OS for a Tablet . HP, just like all the other PC companies always cram a bunch of usless hardware features and slap windows on it and call it good. Rarely do they take the time to develop a product from the ground up because to do that would require major investment and R&D that they may not recoup fully because they always compete on price point with Dell, Lenovop, Acer. That always starts the race to the bottom of the Barrel and then you end up with Acer beating them all with crappy hardware and half baked Software in a decent package at a price Walmart loving Americans eat up.
If HP and Dell would stop being followers and make products that are not an after thought, Apple would not have a leg to stand on. They need to pressure Software makers to make quality programs and drives, MS to make Quality OS's and also make an honest effort to make a quality product built to standard and not price. Apple has proven time again that people will pay more for quality and workmanship over a gaget laden products that barely works. Until they figure how to get the Windows ecosystem to work in unison, they will alway be followers of a company who is 15% of the market share with 3x the Market Value of their competetor with zero debt and nearly 40 billion in the bank!

fluxlink

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
HP does not have a well built, well populated and well integrated applications repository and store.

Well it's windows so no need for a dedicated apps store.

HP does not have a multi-studio backed music and movies store.
Amazon.com seems to fit the bill
HP does not have a widely populated books and magazines store
Amazon.com again seems to fit the bill.

G

Windows is built for the IT corporations and not the end user who works there. Unix is stable and windows is flexible. Apple and google are going to ravish the market and Microsoft will be like atari. I give windows 5 more years before it's gone. Microsoft lost a huge market with Vista. People are still scared to go to windows 7 cause of vista. say la vie.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]Like I pointed out in my article, HP needs to address the mainstream users first, not those like you and others who know exactly what to look for. HP needs to go after the market that aren't technical and need hand holding. Only by integrated stores into the tablet itself, can this be attractive to that larger dimonination of people.HP cannot expect to win by repeating the same things others have tried countless times before. It needs to do something different, something way more massive than what's been done. Look back at all the tablet makers that have thought the same "it's Windows, it's already all there," and see how successful they were.They weren't.Cheers./ Tuan[/citation]

I'm not sure I follow. I use a tablet, and I just don't get what is supposed to be so special about it app-wise. When I say it's Windows, I mean, I get along just fine using it exactly as I would a desktop, except with an on-screen keyboard and considering my desktop is a lot more powerful, using it with less heavy software and background apps.

That's what I mean, I just don't see why people feel that a tablet needs special treatment. For me, at least, if it's got snappy feedback, and it has pen support that works well, it's pretty much golden.

Personally what I'm hoping the HP slate can do is just a refresh on hardware and more responsiveness, at a much more accessible price.

So... What I'm asking is, I guess, what is it you're saying a tablet really needs special treatment-wise for apps that I seem to have missed?

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]macsareback[/nom]Windows is built for the IT corporations and not the end user who works there. Unix is stable and windows is flexible. Apple and google are going to ravish the market and Microsoft will be like atari. I give windows 5 more years before it's gone. Microsoft lost a huge market with Vista. People are still scared to go to windows 7 cause of vista. say la vie.[/citation]

That would work if the majority of the software wasn't built for Windows and not cross-compatible with other OSs (yet, it's possible someone could do it, but it's been and is being tried many times), and regardless of Vista, the majority of people still use XP, a Windows OS, and are scared to move anywhere, period.

It's "C'est la vie".

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
It only needs reasonable price. Other than that, it doesn't compete with iPad, since:

1) Apple fans will buy apple device no matter what
2) Apple haters (I among them) won't buy device with crippling firmware no matter what

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]mj4358[/nom]If HP and Dell would stop being followers and make products that are not an after thought...[/citation]
You do know, that:
a) Apple didn't "invent" tablets
b) HP has announced Slate before Jobbs has anounced iPad

right?

fluxlink

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Short answer:
A huge marketing campain likening the Ipad to Barbie Dolls and feminine qualities. Hey it worked for the Droid!

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Something that I think is important to mention is that the iPAD has an IPS panel and not a cheap crappy TN like every portable computer has. What does the Slate have?

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]I'm not sure I follow. I use a tablet, and I just don't get what is supposed to be so special about it app-wise. When I say it's Windows, I mean, I get along just fine using it exactly as I would a desktop, except with an on-screen keyboard and considering my desktop is a lot more powerful, using it with less heavy software and background apps. That's what I mean, I just don't see why people feel that a tablet needs special treatment. For me, at least, if it's got snappy feedback, and it has pen support that works well, it's pretty much golden. Personally what I'm hoping the HP slate can do is just a refresh on hardware and more responsiveness, at a much more accessible price.So... What I'm asking is, I guess, what is it you're saying a tablet really needs special treatment-wise for apps that I seem to have missed?[/citation]
What you say is true, but it doesn't address the fundamental issue, which is my point:

People like you, who know how to work your way around computers, do not make up the majority of the population, therefore if HP only creates a device for this demographic, it is doomed to be crushed by the iPad. HP needs to make and support Slate to be viable for the masses of people "don't know," because for the most part, people who do know, already have a full size laptop and desktop and have no need for a tablet.

Special cases, such as your self and many who read Tom's Hardware, are not the revenue generating mass that HP needs in order to sustain Slate's life for years to come--the more "common" population is what they need to design for and attract, first, thereby sustaining income to continue to make Slate and future Slates a success.

Got it now? :)

Cheers.
/ Tuan

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]You do know, that:a) Apple didn't "invent" tabletsb) HP has announced Slate before Jobbs has anounced iPadright?[/citation]

A) If you saw HP's internal notes, you would know that HP only launched the slate because there were mass rumors about Apple making a tablet for at least 6 months prior to CES (which is when the Slate made its debut). For HP to announce it, was all about TTM (time to market).

B) But look at it now, still only paper launched and unreleased. As proven by Nvidia with Fermi, announcements mean nothing. Delivery and well execution means everything.

Cheers.
/ Tuan

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
kartu,
Actually, Do you remember Newton? That, Back in the day was a "Tablet". Though it maybe consider a PDA by todays terms it did give way to what a Tablet is today.
Your point as to who anounced who was making a Tablet first still does not negate my point. HP, Dell, Acer are still followers and Are not setting standards by which others are judged..... Except maybe on price point!

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]A) If you saw HP's internal notes, you would know that HP only launched the slate because there were mass rumors about Apple making a tablet for at least 6 months prior to CES (which is when the Slate made its debut). [/citation]
I am sorry but where can I see "HP internal notes"? Or do you mean the slide from the article? (now how does that prove "who was first"?) ^^

And regarding:
by craming a desktop OS designed to be used with a keyboard and mouse into tablet
Windows 7 supports touch screens "at all levels of the OS" "from the ground up".

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]I am sorry but where can I see "HP internal notes"? Or do you mean the slide from the article? (now how does that prove "who was first"?) ^^And regarding:Windows 7 supports touch screens "at all levels of the OS" "from the ground up".[/citation]

A. Inside sources, sorry. :)
B. Supports != intuitively designed for. :)

Cheers.
/ Tuan

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]What you say is true, but it doesn't address the fundamental issue, which is my point:people like you, who know how to work your way around computers, do not make up the majority of the population, therefore if HP only creates a device for this demographic, it is doomed to be crushed by the iPad.[/citation]
Following this logic Microsoft Windows should have been "crushed" by Apple's countless OSes long time ago, shouldn't it?

Most PCs in this world come with Windows . Now Windows 7 is already one of the most popular OSes. How would having the same OS on tablet as on desktop harm HP? And remember, Win7 was designed with touchscreen in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS