What I am not thinking of? - computer for industrial cnc router

Alexandre cl

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2014
Hey guys,

I work with a small custom kitchen cabinet workshop and we will soon be transitioning to using a cnc router to optimize material usage and production speeds while reducing mistakes and man-hours per unit. I'm looking for the computer that will be dedicated to making the plans, running the machine, managing its database, etc. and I'm wondering what may be important to consider which I may not have thought of.

The software requirements are 4G RAM and an OpenGL compatible graphics card with 2G onboard RAM. We want a pc that will remain reliable and free of performance issues for 5 years, and we'd like to plan for likely requirements of future updates or new tools/industry-wide changes likely to be relevant to our business within that timeframe.

My instinct is to go for a gaming laptop since I imagine that it will be useful to bring the computer from the office to the workshop floor for debugging, maintenance and the like, and since this should have the processing power to quickly render basic 3D rooms, load projects, etc. and have low latency, good ventilation and so forth. Of course, we don't want to get something that's really too expensive for our needs either.

I was thinking of something like an i5 with 16GB 2666MHz of DDR4 and a GeForce GTX 1050.
Something like this: https://www.ibuypower.com/Store/ASUS-TUF-FX504GD-RS51-Gaming-Laptop-CFL

Does that seem appropriate, too much or not enough to you? How much do you think that we should expect to pay for the right machine at a good price? Do any of you have experience with this kind of equipment and what might you have realized at a later point that you wish you'd thought about when planning your setup?

Thanks!

Solution
A suggestion: Get two computers:
- a desktop from nearby Costco / BestBuy to run everything else but CNC. Keep this desktop connected to Internet
- a stand-alone (not connected to Internet) industrial PC from likes of Advantech running your CNC. Install Windows 7 on it, and never update if you want to build cabinets and not fixing Windows Updates. You can connect these two PCs with separate Ethernet segment to share files, but that's it.

The specs you've provided are just the bare minimum. And your CNC computer does not need fancy GPU, on-board will be just fine.

RealBeast

Titan
I would suggest a small desktop machine, rather than a laptop. You will pay less and not have the cooling issues inherent in a laptop, which could be an issue in an industrial environment. You will also have the ability to make changes through upgrades that are much easier on a desktop computer.

I've used a number of laptops with auto diagnostic and repair controllers and the biggest issue was always the durability of the laptop -- desktops tolerate bad conditions better and can have added ventilation quite easily.

A suggestion: Get two computers:
- a desktop from nearby Costco / BestBuy to run everything else but CNC. Keep this desktop connected to Internet
- a stand-alone (not connected to Internet) industrial PC from likes of Advantech running your CNC. Install Windows 7 on it, and never update if you want to build cabinets and not fixing Windows Updates. You can connect these two PCs with separate Ethernet segment to share files, but that's it.

The specs you've provided are just the bare minimum. And your CNC computer does not need fancy GPU, on-board will be just fine.

Solution