Question What I call ghost icons are appearing over other icons on the desktop screen

David_652

Honorable
Mar 14, 2017
What I call ghost icons are appearing over the regular desktop icons. They all seem to be saved email file images, the envelop icon. They aren't clickable, just the regular icons under them are. I ran SFC and found and fixed errors but the icons are still there. I emptied the temp files and they are still there. I ran DISM and they are still there. I did a CHKDSK a couple nights ago and everything seemed fine.

Apr 17, 2023
Here are a few things you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Restart your computer: This can help reset the graphics drivers and resolve any temporary glitches.
  2. Update your graphics drivers: Go to your graphics card manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers for your graphics card. Install them and then restart your computer.
  3. Change the desktop background: Try changing the desktop background to a different image and see if the ghost icons still appear. If they do, then it is likely a graphics driver issue.
  4. Disable desktop icons: Right-click on the desktop and select "View". Then uncheck "Show desktop icons". Wait a few seconds, then recheck the option to show desktop icons.
If none of these solutions work, you may want to seek the assistance of a computer technician or support service.

Reactions: David_652

David_652

Honorable
Mar 14, 2017
Thank you. The issue has resolved itself. However, I will keep these and other tips for future appearances of the ghost icons.