What I need to do for my computer problem, considering photo editing (..later video too)

Jun 2, 2018
I first want to apogolize my baddish english, its not my foreign language.
But the problem: I have used to editing my photos for several years more or less power lacking and old computers. Now I got, as used, from my friend a HP desktop which has core i5-650 cpu, 8 Gb 1333 MHz DDR3 (fastest my computer accepts as I know and HP:s support page says), geforce 660GTX GPU and couple of very small HDD:s and my own old 2Tb HDD. I was happy with it few months, then I (don't know why) decided to update my Photoshop cs6 to Ps cc 2018, and lightroom to something it is nowadays called LR classic. And then... first time I started Ps 2018, my excitement was gone very fast, I really don't know are those new features worth of thata slowement in using it. And LR classic, well, I'd understand if its new features consumed more CPU power or memory, but why in earth importing photos from my canon eos 350d (dont laugh :) ) or secondary camera, some powerhot is, is soooo much slower?!? But the question, finally: I have noticed that to my computer is today *very* limited options to boost it speed, I can hunt somewhere 4 Gb RAMs if I find those oldest DDR3 memories still somewhere. Also I can try to get somewhere core i7-870 cpu, which actually would IMO be good choice, because in core i5-650 is for some reason (so old?) 2 cores and 4 threads, which I earlier thought was core i3-option only, that i7-870 would bring me as double both cores and threads. But they are so d***n hard to find. So would equivalent Xeon, some x3040 or something, bring me improvement worth of that near hundred bucks they seem to cost as used? Those xeons don't have hyperthreading. GPU is fine, that I know, some plugins requires 3D-accelerated GPU and that nvidia of mine, well I think it, considering photoediting, still overachieves my needs. And final but not least, system disk will soon become SSD, some 250G or something, but does that increase at remarkable way that photoediting speed, or does it just boost operating systems speed and the machine works faster that way? Very long my letter, sigh, but finallý I need to hear opinions, I would get for reasonable price, ~1500 $, an iMac, 27" IPS retina display and some core i7 cpu, are macs still so superior compared to PC:s than they was 20 years ago when I was working on newspaper and there was macintosh's only then? I mean, now macs have been constructed over same hardware as PC:s, so does the OsX make so big difference, for macs? Or is the beautiful (and expensive, for sure) display the main reason they still like to use in advertisement studios and magazine and newspaper photoediting offices? Aaaand, I'm gonna get in july or august Blackmagic pocket cinema - videocamera, does my computer, or even iMac, will be capable of editing for example its hdr video? One option would be install editing software to my server, dual xeon dell with 32 Gb ram and RAID disks already, and i guess lightworks or shotcur are available on linux, and what I have used earlies, avidemux at least was available on linux, our "videohacklab" wasn't any highend machines, city and some corporations had donated machines there but short movies we made and one tv commercial, too, but I really don't know is axidemux capable to editing black magics video stream, would also preciate if someone would tell me that, too. Oh yes, I think that those server of mine wouldn't be actually any blazing-fast machine in photoediting, am I right? I remember that I heard from somewhere sometimes that Ps or Lr are optimized to use only 4 cores, is it still so? And, win 10 as os, can it use the second CPU at all? Or those "aladobes" editing software?
I apologize too long question, but if somebody did read to this point I would appreciate all opinions and knowledge to any single aspect I asked, because I use these computers of mine, and I don't actually follow time around that power competiting intel vs. AMD - debat, I really dont have time to follow it or very many forums, so please would you peole tell me something that I would do to improve at least that my photography editing, and I rather put my money to oblectives and tripods or flashlights or triggers to them, not inspired to put computer very much money because it will be old after year and half, right?
sincerely yours, AxA photographer, AxA photography and Mimmu fine art studio

But the problem: I have used to editing my photos for several years more or less power lacking and old computers. My System; HP desktop which has core i5-650 cpu, 8 Gb 1333 MHz DDR3, 660GTX a couple of very small HDDs and my own old 2Tb HDD.

1. I was happy with it few months, then I (don't know why) decided to update my Photoshop cs6 to Ps cc 2018, and lightroom to something it is nowadays called LR classic.

2. And then... first time I started Ps 2018, my excitement was gone very fast, I really don't know are those new features worth of thata slowement in using it. And LR classic, well, I'd understand if its new features consumed more CPU power or memory, but why in earth importing photos from my canon eos 350d (dont laugh ) or secondary camera, some powerhot is, is soooo much slower?!? GPU is fine, that I know, some plugins requires 3D-accelerated GPU and that nvidia of mine, well I think it, considering photoediting, still overachieves my needs.

3. Finally: I have noticed that to my computer is today *very* limited options to boost it speed, I can hunt somewhere 4 Gb RAMs if I find those oldest DDR3 memories still somewhere. Also I can try to get somewhere core i7-870 cpu, which actually would IMO be good choice, because in core i5-650 is for some reason (so old?) 2 cores and 4 threads, which I earlier thought was core i3-option only, that i7-870 would bring me as double both cores and threads. But they are so d***n hard to find.

1. Photoshop CC2018 has hardware requirements; and they are not really all that "needy" in power to run it. (from web page: https://helpx.adobe.com/lt/photoshop/system-requirements.html, its basically less requirements than what you currentlly have: Intel® Core 2 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor; 2 GHz or faster processor, Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 (version 1607 or later), 2 GB or more of RAM (8 GB recommended)
1024 x 768 display (1280x800 recommended) with 16-bit color and 512 MB or more of dedicated VRAM; 2 GB is recommended* OpenGL 2.0-capable system. So I do not think this is your issue.

1a. Adobe Lightroom on the other hand does have a graphic card requirement of DX12 or Open GL 3.3 and Dirext 10 Videocard of 2GB minimim, 4GB reccommended. (ref: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/system-requirements.html) which may be you issue. as your GTX 660 does support those requirements, and if that GTX 660 was a HP version it will be an even less power card than a retail (off the shelf at a store) version.

2. importing of files is done via the graphica card, so it is possible it is slower than it was because of the stated reasons above.

3. yes an I7-870 can be a possible upgrade option, depedning on your location in the wqorld and access to ebay or not. it can be easy or terribly hard to acquire your quite right.

4. So would equivalent Xeon, some x3040 or something, bring me improvement worth of that near hundred bucks they seem to cost as used? Those xeons don't have hyperthreading.

5. And final but not least, system disk will soon become SSD, some 250G or something, but does that increase at remarkable way that photoediting speed, or does it just boost operating systems speed and the machine works faster that way?

4. regarding swithching to a Xeon processor, I cannopt comment, not knowing what your make/model of your motherboard is in your computer case. not all system that can run an I5 can run an Xeon cpu and vice versa.
maybe it will work maybe not. waiting a reply to my question on this matter

5. SSD are very good for loading operating system and programs, yes adding one will improve things.

Very long my letter, sigh, but finallý I need to hear opinions, I would get for reasonable price, ~1500 $, an iMac, 27" IPS retina display and some core i7 cpu, are macs still so superior compared to PC:s than they was 20 years ago when I was working on newspaper and there was macintosh's only then? I mean, now macs have been constructed over same hardware as PC:s, so does the OsX make so big difference, for macs? Or is the beautiful (and expensive, for sure) display the main reason they still like to use in advertisement studios and magazine and newspaper photoediting offices?

I will sound like I am flip flop on this answer but when I state it your specifically doing photo and video editing, I would consider a MAC, your obviously not intrested in gaming and prebuilt systems that would keep up with teh software.
arte mac faster, not agasint top of the line Pc's no. and about the same price, and in the end less problems for a workstation.

not sure what you coudl get for 1500$ in a mac to do what you have a need to be done. but for a PC, you would get something like this but you woudl have to build it or ask someone to build it for you. the power this computer is about 20x more powerfull than what you currently have on hand.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($178.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B360M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.38 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: Patriot - Viper RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($190.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.88 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB GAMING Video Card ($229.97 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $974.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-02 08:21 EDT-0400

TRENDING THREADS