[SOLVED] What if I overclock my ram when i have 2 different types?

notnicksaylor

Honorable
Nov 24, 2017
I have 2 different brands of ram in my system, which importantly have 2 very different clock speeds. One is about 600 mhz lower than the other, and of course your pc defaults to the lowest clock speed for your ram. I unplugged my two sticks that are low clock speed and then overclocked my good RAM to the highest stable overclock it can handle. The issue that I have now run into is that 16gb is literally right on the verge of not enough RAM for the game I am trying to play, but the overclock has made a severe difference in the frame rate. Almost a 30 fps difference. I know, crazy, but its true. If I plug the other sticks back in, and keep the current clock rate of my RAM, what will happen? If I can not have the RAM clocked to that rate with the other sticks in, is there a way to overclock RAM on a per slot basis? I have the ASUS EUFI bios. Thanks guys I know this question makes me look like im an idiot but id like to save the 60 dollars if i can.

Solution
"If I can not have the RAM clocked to that rate with the other sticks in, is there a way to overclock RAM on a per slot basis? "

No. Not per slot nor per channel. They all have to run same clocks. And if you punch in manual timings, that applies to all sticks.
32 gigs (2x16G) of 3600 Mhz is around 150 dollars now. That's one solution. You gotta determine if it's worth it.

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
It is not that you cannot do it... but it will be much harder than even with 4x of same brand/manufacturer/chip type sticks...
Overclocking RAM is a rabbit hole, where you fall fast and VERY deep, without actually seeing an end in any close future

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
It might work, it might fail.
And 95%+ of times or more it fails miserably at some point of test...
When one test takes 5-6 hours or more, having this low success rate just kills your mind, and crushes hopes and dreams.
And that's for normal 2x8 or 2x16 stick overclock...
Using 2 different RAM's with different clock speed and base specs AND trying to overclock it in 4x mode... brrr... no, please, better not to do it

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
"If I can not have the RAM clocked to that rate with the other sticks in, is there a way to overclock RAM on a per slot basis? "

No. Not per slot nor per channel. They all have to run same clocks. And if you punch in manual timings, that applies to all sticks.
32 gigs (2x16G) of 3600 Mhz is around 150 dollars now. That's one solution. You gotta determine if it's worth it.

Solution