[SOLVED] What if my ram wasn't listed?

kyubey

Prominent
Nov 29, 2021
Let's say i buy ddr5 6000 brand z

It's listed on ram support on motherboard brand a
BUT
It's not listed on ram support on motherboard brand b

Meaning my ram is literally not going to work at all on motherboard brand b because it's not listed?
Or is it going to work with issue?

Solution

BUT

Meaning my ram is literally not going to work at all on motherboard brand b because it's not listed?
The ram support list is just what they have tested.

It does not mean that untested ram won't work.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Data point: Plenty of laptops had no such list, and everyone has been upgrading them just fine, most of the time, since forever.

Except for gross incompatibility e.g. DDR5 versus DDR4, or design or material faults that won't allow 6000MT/s from any module, It probably will work with no problem, even though it's not presumably tested by the manufacturer. I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this point, though.

But yes, do keep you receipt handy, in case it doesn't.

Tom cruise432

BANNED
Sep 13, 2022
It won't work if you install more RAM than your motherboard can handle. Therefore, it's possible that your motherboard can't support the size of RAM you have installed if your computer isn't recognizing it. Entering BIOS and looking through the system information for recognized RAM sticks is the simplest way to verify this.

BUT

The ram support list is just what they have tested.

It does not mean that untested ram won't work.

Solution