[SOLVED] What if my UPS is lower wattage than my PSU?

Sep 14, 2022
Power Supply: 850W
Unbreakable Power Supply: 700W
System Wattage Usage: 400W

These numbers are just an example, but the takeaway is: UPS capacity is lower than the PSU capacity, and the System usage is lower than both.

What would happen if the lights went out and the system had to run through the UPS?

I would like to believe it would work normally, even if the UPS has lower wattage than the PSU.

Solution
The rated PSU wattage means very little compared to the actual power use.
If you are only drawing 400w, and you are certain of that, then its fine.
Sep 14, 2022
The rated PSU wattage means very little compared to the actual power use.
If you are only drawing 400w, and you are certain of that, then its fine.

Is there a software that I could use to be certain?

So that I can use the PC, gaming and all that, then somehow get the "average" or "max" PSU usage

Unbreakable Power Supply: 700W
So that I can use the PC, gaming and all that, then somehow get the "average" or "max" PSU usage

It's uninterruptable as in you wont loose power even if power cuts out.
Also an UPS comes with software that you have to install in windows and will automatically reduce power draw as much as possible and start a safe power off, like write your mem to swapfile and shut down.
It's not supposed to let you run your system for a long time at normal/high usage, like gaming and all that, it's only there to allow a safe shut down so you won't loose any data.

Any UPS you buy will also come with a data sheet telling you how long you can expect it to be able to run your system at what power draw.