[SOLVED] What if Sony and Microsoft sold operating systems?

Ishan_3

Reputable
Aug 2, 2016
[Couldn't find a console forum, so I thought it would be better here]
I think Sony and Microsoft should just sell their console operating system like windows does instead of the console. I wouldn't mind paying $300 for it because I can upgrade components for my performance needs and switch between windows and xbox/ ps4. Of course they would have to make it work with all the PC hardware or only specific combinations of hardware. I think its worth it because people can just install it like any operating system. I also wouldn't mind paying $60/year for online access as well. I see pros for both the buyer and the companies. They don't have to spend money on R&D and manufacturing. They cab make pure profit selling the OS. They can release new OS every few years like they do with consoles. People can upgrade for cheaper and new people can buy at a higher price. What is your opinon?

Solution
Why would I install a console OS on my PC when a PC OS does the job just fine (if not exponentially better)?
Lets limit the functionality of my system to that of a console level, no customization, no proper web browsing, limited menus, etc. Sounds great.

People dont buy consoles for the OS, they buy them so they can just play games and not worry about hardware. Would you also allow crossplay across the PC OS and console players? Its been tried and its not going well, generally heavily favoring KB+Mouse, or adding heavy aim assist to console players. The other option would involve splitting playerbases even more.

This also says nothing for the insurmountable amount of work it would take to port that sort of software over. You see how...
Microsoft is already making a operating system it's called windows....
[Couldn't find a console forum, so I thought it would be better here]
I think Sony and Microsoft should just sell their console operating system like windows does instead of the console. I wouldn't mind paying $300 for it because I can upgrade components for my performance needs and switch between windows and xbox/ ps4.
You would probably be the only person to pay that much for what would be nothing more than a glorified menu,Have you ever run retroarch?! That's what you would get.
Of course they would have to make it work with all the PC hardware or only specific combinations of hardware. I think its worth it because people can just install it like any operating system. I also wouldn't mind paying $60/year for online access as well. I see pros for both the buyer and the companies. They don't have to spend money on R&D and manufacturing. They cab make pure profit selling the OS.
Those two are cancelling each other out,they would need a lot of money to keep up with every piece of hardware coming up all the time.
I also wouldn't mind paying $60/year for online access as well.
Private mail me,I have an incredible deal for you involving an african prince...
Why would anybody pay for internet access?! You are talking about the games you can play online right? Microsoft (Xbox) already has gamepass for windows,you pay a small amount and get access to a lot of games,Origin has a similar deal as has Uplay.

Why would I install a console OS on my PC when a PC OS does the job just fine (if not exponentially better)?
Lets limit the functionality of my system to that of a console level, no customization, no proper web browsing, limited menus, etc. Sounds great.

People dont buy consoles for the OS, they buy them so they can just play games and not worry about hardware. Would you also allow crossplay across the PC OS and console players? Its been tried and its not going well, generally heavily favoring KB+Mouse, or adding heavy aim assist to console players. The other option would involve splitting playerbases even more.

This also says nothing for the insurmountable amount of work it would take to port that sort of software over. You see how many issues people have with windows every update, now imagine that but having to balance it across two entirely different hardware platforms. Its just not possible.

Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

Why on earth would anybody want to restrict all of the hardware that’s on their PC? If you want to play games just play on the console if that’s what you want else play on a PC

You also seem to lack the understanding that a console Is a closed system where as a PC is an open system. That’s why they can optimize their operating system because the hardware is chosen already and not changing

This would be absolutely absurd and never happen