What I'm afraid of

G

Finding a CPU, finding a nice ATX motherboard online, finding a case online that looks nice, then finding out the motherboard doesn't even fit in the goddamn case.

How the hell do you know if it'll fit or not?
Please explain how you can be sure! Oh yeah, and how u know if this 3-pin connector ...

(Experiences from www.pricewatch.com)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mp03 on 03/08/01 04:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If it's an 'ATX' case, all the screw holes/connectors will line up with an 'ATX' motherboard. An 'AT' motherboard fits inside an 'AT' case. face plate for the rear connections (LPT,Serials, USB) will either come with the motherboard or the case, most likely. If not you'll want to buy one.
An ATX power supply is made to work with the motherboard/case, but you can use an AT supply if you want to. Just turn the p/s fan around, and you're in business. A Cpu is made to fit a specific slot/socket depending on what kind of motherboard you get. Slot 1, Slot A, Socket A, Socket 463, Socket 7.....the list goes on, but I don't know anymore =) Find out what the motherboard takes before you decide on the cpu. The cpu, where ever you buy it from, will list what comformation it applies to.
You'll want some type of spacers between the motherboard and case/tray. Rubber spacers work good, but you can buy plastic spacers off the internet that are made for motherboards.
Pricewatch is a good place to start, but you should be careful that make a list of all the parts and check reviews of them. A A7V isn't the same as a A7V133.....

I'm not sure about the 3-pin connector, but if you are refering to a fan header, you can convert 4-pin to 3-pin and vice versa.
Putting together your own system for the first time can be interesting. I hope you have a variety of tools, and know how to use duct tape.....

Have fun!

G

Thanks for the tip..

Is it always necessary to apply thermal gel to my CPU, or can I just use a heavy duty fan?

Also, is it necessary to have a case fan?

Thanks!

Specs of the computer I'm planning to build + price comin soon..

G

Do i put it right on the core of the chip, and then slap the fan on top of it? How much? I don't want to damage the chip..

I don't plan to OC, that's why I'm asking, but i know AMD is a little warm..

G

How the hell would you clip the thing on? I thought u just placed it on top of the cpu, on top of the artic, then put the fan on top of that.

mpjesse

Splendid
Dude, you need to check out the "CPU Guide" of this website. All your answers are within young grasshopper. No offense, but it doesn't sound like your quite ready to start building computers if your unsure about how to put on a heatsink/fan. Crouching Tiger, hidden dragon young grasshoppa!

-MP Jesse

"Idle time is the devil's time. Intel better start working!"

G

I do take offense to that, because I could describe to you in detail what is needed to build computers, yet I learned to build them when heat sinks + case fans weren't necessary, as the maximum clock speed was about 333 mhz or something..

I'm just trying to get reacquainted, so if you please, link me to this site you're trying to tell me to visit in kinder terms, if you don't mind.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Hey dont worry dude some people think they know it all all ya got to do is look around on the web you ll find what you need or the local computer stores they wont make fun of ya

take it easy

SPUD

I saw the future intel was written all over it

mpjesse

Splendid
OK first off, all processors since about the 486DX have had heatsinks. So, show me a 333mhz processor without a heatsink and i'll be astonished. Second off, I'm not trying to be an [-peep-]. I'm just suggesting you read a little more before you start putting crap together. Just because you can describe to me in detail what is needed to build computers doesn't mean you can successfully put one together.

I suggest you read everything in the "CPU Guide" of Tom's Hardware Guide. All your questions can be answered in there.

-MP Jesse

G

I already have put together something, thanks for asking.

To repeat a previous question, why are there baby ATX motherboards? Will any ATX mboard fit into any ATX style case?

mpjesse

Splendid
Yes, any ATX board will fit into any ATX case- at least they should. Baby ATX's exist because some cases are EXTREMELY small- like budget computers. Most baby ATX boards only have like 3 PCI slots. They're for cheapos =)

-MP Jesse

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
YOU LOOSE. Some Normal ATX cases have the power supply next to the Motherboard, above the processor, making them the same height. And AT case can be that height as well. The best way to tell if it's Micro ATX is to see if it only has four expansion slots-only Micro ATX and proprietary cases use four expansion slots.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was looking for.

So far i'm looking at a nice duron 800 mhz system for about 600 dollars (no monitor)..

AMD Duron 800 (w/ fan, heatsink, cooler)
Gigabyte Mboard, 4x AGP, 5 PCI, 0 ISA, Slot A, 133 FSB
PCI Live Sound
256 Meg Ram PC-133 Error Correcting (ECC) (Crucial inc)
Geforce 2 MX 32 meg ( i think DDR)
DVD/CD-ROM (it's only going to be like 40x CD, is this ok?)
CD-RW
350 W P/S
If I can, case fan

Around 600 bucks, no monitor..

Any suggestions? Or compatiblity issues?

G

I'm sure I read some where that the VIA based MB's don't support ECC Ram , but I use it in non ECC mode(A7V) without a problem but you may save a few $ not buying it.....

Good Luck

M

Opinions are like arseholes .... everybody’s got one.... :smile:

G

Yeah, I don't really need ECC, but the mboard does support it...

I think crucial only sells it in ECC mode though , so i'm hoping i'll be able to change it to regular, or mboard will default to what it wants w/o any problems.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Crucial sells both ECC and non-ECC. The non-ECC is the cheapest. Bth are available at Cas2 or Cas3, get the Cas2, it's about the same price (sometimes cheaper!) and faster.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, it constantly checkes for errors, and is helpfull in extreemly precise calculationss, but most of the time just slows the system down. If you need to make extremely high-accuracy calculations it is a must.

G

Thanks boys..

Great info..

I read up on AMD, so ill make sure to get a nice fatty HS+F