[SOLVED] What intel chipset is best value that supports enough pci-e lanes for one m2 drive and one 2070 card

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Hi all, im looking to build a non over clocked system with a intel processor in a matx system. My question is how good a chipset do i need.

im prepared to pay between 100-200 for the motherboard, 200-300 for the intel processor. im very performance per dollar motivated so i dont want to pay twice as much for something that gives me 3% performance increase.

1. i wont over clock.
  2. ill have one m.2 drive and one or two ssd's, 1 dvd drive. 32gb of ram 2x16, one gtx 2070, i will never go sli.
  3. i want to make sure that it has enough pci-e lanes that with the one card and one m2 drive there is enough without gimping either channel.
  4. i dont need wifi or bluetooth, but neither would hurt.
  5. case will be under the desk so rgb is of no use to me, but wont hurt either.

I plan to game mostly at 2k. at some point i may upgrade my video card and go 4k like maybe in two years.

I already have most my components figured out, all high quality, but im unsure the motherboard/processor combo that gives me the best value in my price range especially the chipset that offers the most pci-e lanes to cover a good card and good m.2 drive.

So if you could mostly cover the motherboard/chipset and why, and the processor which i assume would be some i5 variant that would be greatly appreciated.

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
So if i get this correct, i need 16 lanes for my graphics card and 4 for an nvme m.2 drive. so 20 should do it for me so b365 might do it for me? anyone have suggestions on specific matx motherboard. also suggestion for which intel processor in my budget?

also i notice asrock has a motherboard with a ultra m2 slot, do i need that, also if i use that would it drop my vid card to x8 instead of x16

Last edited: