What is 3GB for?

STOPOT

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Hey,
I was wondering, what is the extra memory say 1.5GB vs 3GB was for? Most people say it is for higher resolution and AA gaming. But what about the future? Meaning, if I continue to game at 1920 will I never need 3GB? Even for future games as long as I maintain 1920? Or will future games require more memory even at 1920 resolution? Thanks

Well we used to not need more than, well depends haw far back you go really. 128mb/512mb you could go back further.

Some games these days are throwing some pretty big textures around and the 1Gb memory on a card is pretty much needed if you are serious about gaming.
Will we get to the point where 3GB is needed ? I would say yes almost defiantly. When ? Well as gaming seems to be driven by console tech we must at least wait for next gen consoles to see games that will start to push the barriers we now call normal.

Mactronix :)

STOPOT

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
But lets say in a range of 3 years from now, will 3GB be needed for 1920 gaming without AA? I mean even the titles we know are going to be comming out, do you think that a 1.5GB card is enough to play at 1920?

If what you are trying to ask is something along the lines of, I'm looking at getting a card now to last 3 years do i get the 1.5 or the 3GB card the answer is get the 1.5 card.
The reason is that in 3 years time it wont matter what memory is on the card it most probably wont be capable of playing the latest games anyway. The amount of Ram wont make a jot of difference now of then.

If this is a theoretical question about what will happen in the future then personally i think you will need more Vram on the cards for sure, how much and when we can only guess. 3GB in the next 3 years ? I don't think so 2GB maybe but 3 is a bit much for a single 1920 display, that's just mu opinion though.

Mactronix :)

STOPOT

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
With the current know line up of future release titles, would you think they need more than 1.5GB to play at 1920? I am asking because most people say 3GB is too much for current games anyways unless playing at highest resolution with AA. And the difference in price was 60 dollars.

Unless you plan to get a second or third monitor at 1920 to run in eyefinity then 1.5GB. should be plenty -- If you increase to 2 or 3 monitors then you might need the 3GB. Currently the only reason to really use a 3gb. card is if you are using multiple monitors.

Eventually most likely -- as is the case with most things if the memory is available uses for it will eventually be found (ie. the original PC could only address 640Kb of system memory which today is not even enough to get Windows loaded ! - Original HDDs were 10MB and people thought they would never fill them - etc. etc. etc.) SO yes eventually 3gb. will probably become the minimum for a video card (figure years ago The standard IBM CGA graphics card was equipped with 16 kilobytes of video memory and now 512MB cards are found to be lacking in many cases) but for the near future 1.5GB will suffice for a single monitor setup since most PC games are ported to\from the current gen consoles which have less than that.

Xbox 360 spec :

Product Name: Microsoft Xbox 360

Graphics Core Clock Speed: 500 MHz

Graphics Processor: Custom ATI Processor

System Memory: 512 MB UMA (Shared with GPU)

Video Memory: 512 MB UMA (Shared with CPU)

Embedded Video Memory: 10MB eDRAM

Integrated Communications: 802.11 A/B/G Wi-Fi ready, adapter not included

Plug and Play Storage: 20GB Removable Hard Drive

Standard AV Output Connectors: n/a

L2 Cache: 1mb

Processor: Custom IBM PowerPC CPU

Processor Clock Speed: 3.2 GHz

Memory Bandwidth: 22.4 GB/s main memory bandwidth, 256 GB/s to eDRAM, 21.6 GB/s FSB

Surround Sound: Multichannel Output (software driven)

PS3 System SPecs :

Product name: PLAYSTATION 3

CPU: Cell Processor

PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU: RSX @550MHz

1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)

Memory:

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth:

Main RAM: 25.6GB/s
VRAM: 22.4GB/s
RSX: 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB: 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance: 2 TFLOPS

Storage:

HDD
Detachable 2.5” HDD slot x 1

I/O:

USB: Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
Memory Stick: standard/Duo, PRO x 1
SD: standard/mini x 1
CompactFlash: (Type I, II) x 1

Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x3 (input x 1 + output x 2)

Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 b/g

Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller:

Bluetooth (up to 7)
USB2.0 (wired)
Wi-Fi (PSP®)
Network (over IP)

AV Output:

Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI: HDMI out x 2
Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

CD Disc media (read only):

PlayStation CD-ROM
PlayStation 2 CD-ROM
CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW
SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD
DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)

DVD Disc media (read only):

PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM
PLAYSTATION 3 DVD-ROM
DVD-Video: DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

Blu-ray Disc media (read only):

PLAYSTATION 3 BD-ROM
BD-Video: BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

TRENDING THREADS