Question What is 6-pin EPS connector? Can I use 8-pin instead?

Jan 28, 2019
There's this 2-socket server motherboard ASUS WS C621E SAGE: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...AGE/Manual/E15371_WS_C621E_SAGE_UM_V6_WEB.pdf

It has two 8-pin connectors and one 6-pin connector. I assume that two 8-pin connectors are for powering two CPUs, but on page 2-6 of the manual they only plug one 8-pin alone or 8-pin and 6-pin plugs together. On page 1-28 they imply that 6-pin connector is for additional powering of videocards.

I am confused. How many plugs on my PSU do you think I would need to plan for for this card to run on max settings -- with both CPUs and many GPUs?

And second, and most important, what is 6-pin EPS connector? If you look on page 1-28 6-pin connector is clearly not 6-pin PCI and it looks like 8-pin EPS with two side pins removed. But googling for 6-pin EPS doesn't produce any meaningful results. What is 6-pin EPS?

Will I be able to force 8-pin EPS into it? Or cut two superfluous pins? Would it not fry the mobo?

Jan 28, 2019
i believe they are specialized connectors for the CPU , they look like pcie connectos but they are not the same .
I tend to agree, but what's interesting is if you look on page 1-28 of the manual +12V goes to upper pins on 8-pin connector and to lower pins on 6-pin connector -- which is how it is with 6-pin PCIe connectors
images

This is all very confusing. Wouldn't want to fry this rather expensive mobo...