What is a average temperature for a intel i7 processor

jerod77

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
My core i 7 CPU with stock heat sink and AZZA Solano 1000 Black case runs idle at 64 C and hits 84 C when Im gaming any ideas if that is ok?

Solution
Yeah thats pretty high for stock HSF temps. They normally average around 40 to 45c.

What probably happen is that when the HSF was installed, it was either not installed fully like some of the push pins are not pushed all the way though causing the HSF not to be flush with the cpu or the HSF was taken off and put back on without placing new thermal compound.

What i recommend doing is:

1. Get some new thermal compound like Arctic Silver 5 (AC5). http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

2. take off the Heatsink fan (HSF) and clean off the old thermal compound. you can use something like rubbing alcohol or acetone.

3. follow the directions for applying AC5.

4. place the HSF on

5. Fully push all 4 push pins down.

After that you should...
Yeah thats pretty high for stock HSF temps. They normally average around 40 to 45c.

What probably happen is that when the HSF was installed, it was either not installed fully like some of the push pins are not pushed all the way though causing the HSF not to be flush with the cpu or the HSF was taken off and put back on without placing new thermal compound.

What i recommend doing is:

1. Get some new thermal compound like Arctic Silver 5 (AC5). http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

2. take off the Heatsink fan (HSF) and clean off the old thermal compound. you can use something like rubbing alcohol or acetone.

3. follow the directions for applying AC5.

4. place the HSF on

5. Fully push all 4 push pins down.

After that you should be good to go.

Solution
Average temps don't matter. Full load temps are the ones to keep track of. They shouldn't exceed 75-80C. If you're hitting 84C in games (which are not full load for a CPU like an i7), there's definitely something a bit off.

muratgemici2003

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[Agree] Gaming temps / full load should not go higher than 60's... some overclockers can get away with 70's and 80's somehow but I always thought the Intel chips are designed to shut off before reaching 80??

tnagy

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
I have i7 920 no OC with Zalman CPNC9900LED and core 1 temp is 46-48C idle even with open case, I used MX-3 compund, and tried 3 times reinstalling heatsink, but no result. With prime95 after 2 minutes hits 80C. Any recommendation?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
^Well opening a case isn't a good idea. Sometimes it will help but usually a closed case cools better because your air current is more concentrated, stronger, and hot air is sucked out better. If you have an open case, air won't be pushed through it as well and as fast and it can result in worse cooling. What case are you using?...

-If everything fails, buy new thermal paste, a new cooler (something different).
-And also, are you sure you don't have turbo or something like that enabled?...it overclocks it automatically, try disabling it.

tnagy

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007

With closed case is the same. I have Thermaltake Element S Case. Motherbard temp is around 38C. I will try another heatsink. thanks

tnagy

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
I take out MB from the case, reinstalled heatsink and put it back. I have 41C idle. With Prome95 test highest temp was 78C. Not bad. Looks like the 4 screws on the back of MB heatsink bracket weren't installed good enough. Thanks for all help.

A Shrew On Roids

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

My I7 used to run as hot as a flaming sandwich, so i took off the heatsink, [stock] and just put it back on facing a different direction.