What is a average temperature of a GTX 1080 MSI Gaming X?

Mannfam

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
I hit around 36c-38c on idle with fan speed at 70% for anything below 70c anything above 70c is 75% to 100% fan speed. Anyway I average 60c-65c on load. Is that normal or do I need better airflow?

Solution
No such thing as an average temp really exists because average temps are heavily dependent on ambient temperatures.

That said, the MSI Gaming X also doesn't turn on the fans until the GPU hits 60C and above, so it's default is to hover around 60C at use.

Better case airflow can help, but only if your room/where the PC is actually cool enough for that to matter. If the area the PC is sitting in has dead air, the hot air being vented from the case may have nowhere to go and will just cycle back through the intakes.
No such thing as an average temp really exists because average temps are heavily dependent on ambient temperatures.

That said, the MSI Gaming X also doesn't turn on the fans until the GPU hits 60C and above, so it's default is to hover around 60C at use.

Better case airflow can help, but only if your room/where the PC is actually cool enough for that to matter. If the area the PC is sitting in has dead air, the hot air being vented from the case may have nowhere to go and will just cycle back through the intakes.

Solution
I don't know the safe temps for NVIDIA's newest cards but I will tell you that all sorts of PCs I have owned or built have had temps between 60 and 80 C so I would assume that's normal.

For instance ;
RX 480 gets 82-85 at max load
GTX 460 got to hover around 80 max load (reuse from my 2008 and 2014 PC's)
R9 290X went very high, capped out at the 90s sometimes even.

xander.dec

Reputable
May 13, 2018

Avg house temp is 60c - that is 140 degrees Fahrenheit

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
With Afterburner on and a fan curve that starts at 40% mine stays right in line with the proc temps, which translates into right in line with case temps. Most often I see mine in the 50-60C range in (most) gaming, with highs in the 70's.
If I turn off Afterburner and allow it to run on stock fan curve it ends up getting near 80, kicking fans up, and flooding the room with heat. I typically will see the CPU follow suit for a moment.

This is air cooled R7 1700 @ 3.7 in a Phanteks case with no additional fans installed.