Mar 26, 2019
Hi,

I would like to know, which one of these Macbooks is a better choice to buy.

Either
Apple MacBook Air 13,3 (2017)

or

Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13,3 (2014)

The Air is newer but I would say worse than the Pro. I don't have any experience with Mac yet, so I don't know what to expect.
This is just my assumption.

Thank you for any comments!

PS: I know there is a forum for Macbooks here, but I hope that I'll get more replies here.

According to Rossmanngroup.com if u watch his utubes, he dumps on new Macs, says bests are 2013-14.

But to my thinking 13-14 maybe too old, technology wise and I'd have to think real hard getting something today less than a retina resolution. I would definitely not buy USED 13-14, parts do wear out.

Normally I tell ppl not to bother with extended warranty but if you are going to buy a later model Mac, I say buy their AppleCare.

According to Rossmanngroup.com if u watch his utubes, he dumps on new Macs, says bests are 2013-14.

But to my thinking 13-14 maybe too old, technology wise and I'd have to think real hard getting something today less than a retina resolution. I would definitely not buy USED 13-14, parts do wear out.

Normally I tell ppl not to bother with extended warranty but if you are going to buy a later model Mac, I say buy their AppleCare.
What’s his reason for not liking the new macs? Only issues I can think of someone bringing up is the IO but 2-4 TB3 ports means you have literally every port you want available to you with the correct adapter/dongle. Everything from USB hubs to graphics cards can be used.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Right.

I was mistaken.

Macbook Air 13 2018 actually has a dual core cpu, the same as the 2017 model, but a better display and few minor upgrades.

Macbook Pro 2014 (i5-4278U) has an edge over the latest Macbook Air 13's (i5-8210Y).

Last edited:

caapac

Reputable
Jun 5, 2016
The latest macbook air is significantly faster than i5 4278U (about 30% on geekbench).

New macbook air has the same design language as the current pro, a lot different than the old one.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Benchmarks are benchmarks.

They tend to vary, app to app.

but if you see the passmark scores, you'll find that i5-4278U is little bit ahead of the i5-8210Y in both single and multicore score, though it's power consumption is quite high. (4 times)

TRENDING THREADS