What is a cable sleeve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Mck

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
I was looking into customising desktops and i came across a "Cable Sleeve". To be honest i have no clue what it is or what it does. So my question is what is a cable sleeve? e.g. Corsair AX/HX PSU Only.

Solution
The cable sleeve is like a mesh outer coating to your power supply's wiring. Should the cable come into contact with anything heated within the case, the sleeve will provide some protection against the cable melting and thus shorting out and possibly damaging your system.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
The cable sleeve is like a mesh outer coating to your power supply's wiring. Should the cable come into contact with anything heated within the case, the sleeve will provide some protection against the cable melting and thus shorting out and possibly damaging your system.

-Wolf sends

Solution
That black mesh around the power supply cable, that is a cable sleeve. There are cheaper units that do not have the cables sleeved and just use a lot of zip ties down the length like this
Zippy_p4_by_Phaedrus2401.jpg

Sleeving the cables makes it look a lot nicer and reduces the chances of snagging individual wires in the bundle

Puff3r

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
It is exactly what it sounds like. It is a protective mesh that covers the cables from your power supply. It is mostly for aesthetic purposes, but can be helpful with cable management as well.

Blaise170

Honorable
Cable sleeving is fabric that you use to cover your cables with. Here is custom sleeving.

4812895677_af968f7e0c_b.jpg

It's not something for beginners to do though, I tried it on a bad cable once and it messed up pretty bad. It takes a lot of practice to get it working correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.