what is a chipset?

brandon9455

Reputable
Apr 16, 2017
im wanting to buy a Gigabyte GA-970-Gaming ATX Motherboard - AMD 970/SB950 but after reading threads online about a "chipset" im confused on whether my processor will work with it, i have a AMD FX-9590

Also if you don't have the 9590 don't get it. Terrible cpu with a lot of problems.

mrobscura

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017
a chipset is essentially the brain of a motherboard. it handles the data flow, or communication, between the components. cpus are compatible with sockets, and motherboards with a certain sockets are usually available with numerous chip sets from budget entry level to higher end, offering more functionality.

also the better chip sets also tend to be on higher quality mobos so the other components tend to be superior as well. for example better chipsets offer better OCing, therefore better VRMs are on the mobos with those chipsets.

but with the 9590, thats a finicky cpu and only certain mobos can handle it. as mentioned, if possible id avoid it.

brandon9455

Reputable
Apr 16, 2017

My brother said he could get me one from his shop, would you recommend any good processors for £150?

USAFRet

Titan

You'd have to pay me to install and use a 9590.
Seriously.

Badly flawed CPU.

Any i5 or ryzen is waaaay beter than the 9590. They also run a lot less hot don't have many issues and don't need a giant/ expensive cooling solution.

For around 160-170gbp you could get an i5 7400 or ryzen 5 1400. Depends on what you're looking to use the pc for. It's a bit past your suggested budget but at that price you're right on the cusp between budget and mid grade cpu's. There are i3's within that range but they're only 2c/4t depending your intended use. I think it would be worth saving just a bit more or spending a little more to move up to the i5/ryzen territory, especially if you plan to keep this pc for even a year or two.