What is a compatible SSD for my Dell Precision T7400?

cuervito

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015
Hi. I want to update my old but trusty Dell Precision T7400 workstation. Purchased a Crucial BX100 SSD SATA 6Gb/s and installed it via SATA cable to the motherboard - on the HDD0 position.

Neither the BIOS nor Windows 7 Pro recognizes the drive. I contacted Dell (tech support won't answer my questions because machine out of warranty...duh....). Sales department informs me that yes the machine can handle an SSD & recommends either the Samsung EVO or the VisionTek RAcer SATA III drive (either at an exhorbitant price, of course).

My question for the experts out there, why would these drives work and the Crucial not?

I have had issue with the T7400 and using hard drive on the standard SATA ports (SATA 0-2) and it not seeing regular hard drive as well (I know I just worked on one last week) I was trying to disable the onboard PERC 6 and just use standard SATA and to speed up boot time but it just wouldn't take it.

Also make sure that SATA port is ENABLED in the BIOS as well as the older Dell machines don't like enabled SATA ports with nothing plugged in so they disable them. You may have to use the build in PERC 6 Controller and plug it into there.