What is a Fairly Decently Priced AM3/AM3+ CPU That Is Used in Moderate Gaming Builds?

renjithetenken

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
Currently I am running an Athlon x4 750k stock (FM2, going to upgrade Mobo too) with a 212 Evo. The problem I am having is that my GPU (GTX 770 2gb) doesn't seem to be getting the frames that I see others with in their builds. Many of my friends have similar cards (if not same), yet noticeable frame difference compared to my PC. I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations on a fairly decently priced CPU ($200 or less) for my budget build. Thanks for answers in advance, new builder here :)

If you're planning on changing the MoBo and CPU, then you're better off with a cheap i3/i5 Haswell (or previous) + cheap MoBo (for the CPU you can find). You won't even need the 212 and get to keep the DDR3 memory (as long as it's not Skylake based, meaning the 6xxx line).

And if you want to stick to AMD, then the FX63xx and a 990X / 970 MoBo will do, but won't be that much different from the 750K (if you have it OCed).

Cheers!

Yuka is correct, AMD doesn't offer much that's faster than what you already have. AM3 systems have more cores, but they're not faster cores, and if you're seeing low framerates in your games, it's likely due to per-core performance limitations.

TRENDING THREADS