Question What is a good cooling pad to use with an Asus G531GL laptop ?

LoneGreyWolf20

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
I started to encounter overheating (going to about 96-97 celsius under load on the CPU) with my laptop after almost three years of having it. It wasn't used on a daily basis, so it is not a daily driver so to speak, but when I was using it, it was run pretty hard while gaming. Before recently, my temps would hold out about 75-80 celsius with spikes to about 85 celsius.
I just replaced the stock thermal paste on the CPU and GPU with Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste. It dropped the temp some, but not enough for my liking. It was still going up into the 90s, but nothing over 95. I had to use the Intel tuning program on it to lower the max turbo wattage down to 25 watts to get it to drop back down below 80 while under load.

I know that you can reduce the voltage to reduce heat. but for whatever reason, this laptop doesn't seem to allow you to do that. The BIOS is very light on available options and lowering the voltages is not one that is there. I cannot even do it using the Intel tuning program or throttlestop. It's locked and I cannot touch it. So, the only thing I was able to do was to lower the wattage as described above.

So, what is a good cooling pad to use for this particular brand of laptop?

Hey there,

Yes, you can undervolt it, or at least should be able to. Have you tried Intel XTU or Throttlestop for that? That's weird it's locked out. I know some laptops are, but thought it was mostly Dell.

Also, the Noctua NT-H1, doesn't seem to be good on direct die contact, and Noctua NT-H2 is much better for that. There is a pump out effect with Noctua NT-H1.

In terms of cooling pad, they are pretty much the same, although some come with a USB hub. I use a KLIM Cyclone. The fans match up with the intakes on the bottom of my laptop (HP Omen 15). So it works quite well. It will help reduce idle temps, but won't be the answer. Hopegully you can get an undervolt going and get the benefit of that.

Maybe @unclewebb can help you with that.

Last edited: