what is a good DDR3 motherboard and cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisc1690c

Prominent
Aug 26, 2018
hello every one im looking to build a good gaming pc and was wondering what parts I should use im getting ready for black Friday to see if I can get the parts cheaper then I need a motherboard psu cpu and graphics card im going to use my current ram on it witch is 16gb two 8gb sticks and im going to use a zalman z11 case budget wise it is not a problem but id like to keep it on the cheap side
for the motherboard it needs to be ddr3 atx

Solution
DDR3 RAM is now obsolete and no modern CPUs and motherboards support it. Generally speaking the most modern thing you can get with DDR3 support is an LGA1150 motherboard and a Haswell Intel chip eg. Core 4000 series. There was a small selection of LGA 1151 100 series chipset boards that supported DDR3, but you have to be careful about those as Skylake's memory controller might degrade if you use higher voltage DDR3 sticks, as it only officially supported low voltage DDR3.

Bottom line is you're going to have to get new RAM too unless you want to buy a 4+ year old CPU and motherboard. LGA 1150 boards are starting to become scarce now, except maybe on the used market, so it's probably not worthwhile getting one just so you can re-use...
DDR3 RAM is now obsolete and no modern CPUs and motherboards support it. Generally speaking the most modern thing you can get with DDR3 support is an LGA1150 motherboard and a Haswell Intel chip eg. Core 4000 series. There was a small selection of LGA 1151 100 series chipset boards that supported DDR3, but you have to be careful about those as Skylake's memory controller might degrade if you use higher voltage DDR3 sticks, as it only officially supported low voltage DDR3.

Bottom line is you're going to have to get new RAM too unless you want to buy a 4+ year old CPU and motherboard. LGA 1150 boards are starting to become scarce now, except maybe on the used market, so it's probably not worthwhile getting one just so you can re-use your old RAM.

Solution
Cheap DDR4 memory, 16gb, costs around $140 in my area. So you'd be choosing to build an older tech computer to save that $140. I personally wouldn't do it. If I had the motherboard too, or the CPU, then yeah maybe. Just because you have DDR3 ram? I wouldn't.

If you decide to do it, a Haswell i5 or i7 is the best you could get, obviously the i7 if possible. Then the motherboard for that CPU, and depending where you are and where you buy from, those components may not be cheap.

You'd probably be better off buying an older Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge computer, like a Dell Optiplex 790, then adding your ram to it. Sometimes complete computers can cost less than if you buy each part separately.

Aug 18, 2018
I recently purchased a full pc for £119 off eBay , it came with i3 4170, gigabyte h81m d2v mobo, 2x4gb hyperfuryx ddr3 1600 ram, Corsair 650m psu, 120gb Ocz ssd and 500gb wd blue hdd with a terrible Radeon gfx card. Upgraded to i7 4790k, 1060 gtx, Samsung 860 500gb ssd and 16gb hyperfuryx 2x8gb ddr3 and to be fair it a very capable machine and was done for me to use Lightroom, granted it may be old tech but in benchmarks it fairs pretty decent , incidentally you can pick up the gigabyte h81m mobo for around £30

larrycumming

Prominent
Aug 15, 2018
Z97 + i7-4790K is the best gaming DDR3 capable motherboard cpu set.

You'll need a big fat cooler and a very good set of DDR3 ram sticks to make the best out of it.

X79 + Xeon E5-26XX v2 is the best you can get for DDR3 ECC memory modules. Those make for excellent rendering machines.

Most of these are sold used on flea bay.

DDR3 RAM is now obsolete and no modern CPUs and motherboards support it.

I think this is being a little harsh.
2018.png
is what I have in my system.

@chrisc1690c With that being said I do agree that you should buy a new motherboard, CPU and RAM. Why? Because you don't have them right now. I just answered this question. In that case I don't think it's worth it to buy everything new. The value just isn't there if you buy old stuff. You would be wasting money in my opinion. You can sell that RAM. I'm assuming the modules were purchased as a kit. There may be compatibility issues if they weren't purchased in a single kit.

larrycumming

Prominent
Aug 15, 2018
Well, no they are not obsolete. In fact many high end DDR3 kits will eat average DDR4 kits for lunch. They have lower latency and there are quality kits that clock up to 2400/3000mhz. DDR3 ECC are popular for rendering / VM builds because they are dirt cheap, usually half price of DDR4 so you can put machine together with a large amount of RAM for very low prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS