[SOLVED] What is a good gpu for my build and needs?

SpeedCola

Prominent
Sep 28, 2019
Would an rx 570 be worth it for someone who will be gaming on a 1080p 60hz monitor? Upgrading both right now isn't an option, so i was thinking maybe I should settle for a cheaper gpu since the monitor is only 60hz and there's no point getting something more powerful and having to use vsync all the time (Was thinking rx 580 at first). I'm looking for something that will allow me to play most triple-As at stable 60 fps on very high/ultra settings, so that later, If i get the chance to buy a better monitor I can sell and replace the gpu with a better one. My current build has a ryzen 5 2600 and 8gb of 3000mhz ram (single channel) and an old R5 235 gpu. If i were to be more specific about the games I'm interested in playing then I'd say something like Gta V, Fallout 4, PUBG, Battlefront 2. Red Dead Redemption 2 would be cool to play as well (Played it on ps4 but my console is now history and so is the game).

Solution
First thing I would do, is get a matching stick of ram. Ryzen and single channel is a big performance loss. The RX 570/580 are good enough, right now, but future titles they are probably going to struggle. Get the fastest GPU that you can afford, that your power supply can handle safely, and will not be held back, by your cpu. A monitor is cheaper to replace, typically, than a graphics card. Speaking of PSU, what is the make/model of the one you currently have?

logainofhades

Titan
First thing I would do, is get a matching stick of ram. Ryzen and single channel is a big performance loss. The RX 570/580 are good enough, right now, but future titles they are probably going to struggle. Get the fastest GPU that you can afford, that your power supply can handle safely, and will not be held back, by your cpu. A monitor is cheaper to replace, typically, than a graphics card. Speaking of PSU, what is the make/model of the one you currently have?

Solution

SpeedCola

Prominent
Sep 28, 2019
I have a corsair vs550. I've heard it's not good at all, it's been working fine so far and it's still under a 3 year warranty, but I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

SpeedCola

Prominent
Sep 28, 2019
I'm really not sure how a 3GB 1060 is.
I can say that I ran a 6GB 1060 with an i7-920 and it barely made 60 fps on ultra at 1080p in Witcher3. It basically made 60 fps on ultra in just about everything else...but Witcher 3 is very demanding.

I wouldn't think a 3GB is that much slower though.
Yeah well the cheapest 6gb i can find costs 232€ and my budget is around 180€ right now, so i guess I gotta choose between a 3gb 1060 and an 8gb rx 580