[SOLVED] what is a good pc case fan RPM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomer fishbein

Reputable
Apr 28, 2017
I need better cooling for my pc and I need 12mm fans, I've seen some that are 2000 RPM, is that sufficient enough? Because I've also seen that CPU fans run at 6000 RPM?
Also, is there a good video showing how to install and connect RGB fans to your motherboard? I can't find any good ones

Solution
Your case has room for only one front 120mm intake fan.
Run HWmonitor.
It will tell you the current , minimum and maximums for cpu and gpu temperature.
Also the fan speeds of the cpu, gpu, and case fans.

80c. under load is a common temperature for graphics cards. You are not really bad off there.

On the cpu temperatures, look at the idle(minimum) temperature.
Much more than 10-15c. over ambient and possibly your cooler is defective, not mounted well, or does not get sufficient intake air to let it do it's job.
If you see a max of 100c. your processor is likely throttling.

Try a simple cpu stress test using the bench tab of cpu-Z.
85c. is ok. Normal gaming, 75c. is ok.

If anything is too high, what to do??

Your only two options...
I need better cooling for my pc and I need 12mm fans, I've seen some that are 2000 RPM, is that sufficient enough? Because I've also seen that CPU fans run at 6000 RPM?
Also, is there a good video showing how to install and connect RGB fans to your motherboard? I can't find any good ones
Depends on what your purpose is, if you want silence, then go for low RPM, if you want performance then go as high as possible. Because they do get noisy, I have a Noctua IPPC fan on my cooler, 3000rpm, it sounds like a V10 engine when at full speed, and can be heard in adjacent rooms too. Usually fans are anywhere between 1000-3000rpm, performance ones are usually north of 2000, and balanced ones are 1500-2000, while quieter ones are lower than 1500.
Connecting RGB fans varies by brand. Some use a proprietary controller that the fans plug into, and the controller plugs into the mobo USB header, like Corsair. Some directly plug into the motherboard D-LED or 12VRGB socket, like Cooler Master. They're pretty easy if you just read the manuals and website for the mobo and fans

Tomer, it all depends on your system - processor and case
Then how will you use it?
I would read through all of the cooling section to get ideas and learn some of the pitfalls.
First you should decide what will fit in your case and how it will be secured, my case allows 120mm or 140mm fans with screw holes for each size. (what does your case have?)
They make all sizes of fans 40mm to 500mm, the larger the fan the greater the air flow.

Why do you think you need better cooling?
What is the make/model of your case?
What is the cpu and gpu that you need to cool.
Do you care about fan noise?
Good cooling comes from a good case and usually a simple fan setup.

Given a 120mm fan requirement, the higher the rpm, the higher the CFM airflow.
Normal 120mm fans are 25mm thick, but you can buy higher capacity 38mm fans with airflow in excess of 100 cfm.

tomer fishbein

Reputable
Apr 28, 2017
I have the antec gx330, it's a budget case and has only 2 fans, I can't say numbers but I'd say they're quite week.
I also have the i5 7600k and the RX 5700xt
I'm pretty sure the GPU is the reason for the overheating happening, that and my cat's hair gets inside my pc a lot which also donates to the heat.
I once played shadow of the tomb rider at max settings and the GPU was on 84C.
What's wired is that it also happened at rocket league -not nearly as demanding as tomb rider. After lowering the max fps from 300 to 120 the temperature dropped.
Regular GPU temperature (only chrome, dis, WhatsApp opened) is 56C
I didn't add any extra fans to the case besides the 2 that came with it and a CPU fan, I never really needed to but since I bought this GPU I noticed the heat issues. (Although I've been using it for 3 months and it never crashed or something to my knowledge)
As I said I need 12nm fans, of course, I care about noise as well, I really need a sweet-spot. I don't have much knowledge about fans I just need good ones that will help my temperature drop and ones that you guys can recommend.
I will prefer that they will be quiet, strong, RGB, 12nm, budget, something that combines them all.

I will prefer that they will be quiet, strong, RGB, 12nm, budget, something that combines them all.
We're going to need to know what motherboard you have, because there's like a half dozen incompatible RGB standards and that will help narrow down what to look for. We're also going to need to know how much money you're actually willing to spend. High quality RGB fans, which is what you seem to want, aren't cheap.

EDIT: Given the CPU, the motherboard likely doesn't have an RGB header. So RGB should be tossed out because you'll need to get an RGB controller which would add another $20+ at least. And you can get like two fans with that if we're being budget conscious enough.

Reactions: Phaaze88
We're going to need to know what motherboard you have, because there's like a half dozen incompatible RGB standards and that will help narrow down what to look for. We're also going to need to know how much money you're actually willing to spend. High quality RGB fans, which is what you seem to want, aren't cheap.

EDIT: Given the CPU, the motherboard likely doesn't have an RGB header. So RGB should be tossed out because you'll need to get an RGB controller which would add another $20+ at least. And you can get like two fans with that if we're being budget conscious enough.
Not really, the Corsair SP120 iCUE 3x combo costs like $60 where I live, 3 rgb 120mm fans, 52cfm airflow each, not very noisy at 26dB @ 1400rpm. It's a great deal and includes the corsair lighting node core, which requires a SATA power connector from the PSU and an empty USB 2.0 header on the mobo

I have the antec gx330, it's a budget case and has only 2 fans, I can't say numbers but I'd say they're quite week.
I also have the i5 7600k and the RX 5700xt
I'm pretty sure the GPU is the reason for the overheating happening, that and my cat's hair gets inside my pc a lot which also donates to the heat.
I once played shadow of the tomb rider at max settings and the GPU was on 84C.
What's wired is that it also happened at rocket league -not nearly as demanding as tomb rider. After lowering the max fps from 300 to 120 the temperature dropped.
Regular GPU temperature (only chrome, dis, WhatsApp opened) is 56C
I didn't add any extra fans to the case besides the 2 that came with it and a CPU fan, I never really needed to but since I bought this GPU I noticed the heat issues. (Although I've been using it for 3 months and it never crashed or something to my knowledge)
As I said I need 12nm fans, of course, I care about noise as well, I really need a sweet-spot. I don't have much knowledge about fans I just need good ones that will help my temperature drop and ones that you guys can recommend.
Check out the Corsair SP120 RGB iCUE version, make sure it says iCUE on the product name because it's the ARGB one. Link: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...SP-Series-RGB-PRO-Performance/p/CO-9050094-WW
Its $80 on the link, 60 where I live, not bad imo

Last edited:
Reactions: Prad_Bitt
2000 RPM fans are loud. 6000 RPM fans are crazy loud. You want something like 600 to 800 RPM while browsing, netflix etc and up to 1200 to 1400 RPM when doing high load stuff.

I use Noctua fans as they seem to be pretty good at cooling with low noise levels

2000 RPM fans are loud. 6000 RPM fans are crazy loud. You want something like 600 to 800 RPM while browsing, netflix etc and up to 1200 to 1400 RPM when doing high load stuff.

I use Noctua fans as they seem to be pretty good at cooling with low noise levels
RPM doesn't necessarily equate to loudness. I have a 10,000 RPM 20mmx20mm fan on one of those M.2 SSD heatsinks. You can't even hear it unless you stick your ear up to it.

tomer fishbein

Reputable
Apr 28, 2017
thanks for all the help guys
I have the Z270 gaming K3 motherboard, so I think it does support RGB without the need for a controller? how do I check that?
Also, It'll be good if I won't spend more then 20$ on 1 fan, I guess I want 3? so that'll be 60$. But you didn't seem to relate to my heating problem, like maybe just 2 fans are all I need?
Also the question of how much CFM or RPM for a good 12nm case fan still stands.
Cuz your guys recommendations are great and thanks for that, but I also want to know how to choose ones myself for the future:)

Your case has room for only one front 120mm intake fan.
Run HWmonitor.
It will tell you the current , minimum and maximums for cpu and gpu temperature.
Also the fan speeds of the cpu, gpu, and case fans.

80c. under load is a common temperature for graphics cards. You are not really bad off there.

On the cpu temperatures, look at the idle(minimum) temperature.
Much more than 10-15c. over ambient and possibly your cooler is defective, not mounted well, or does not get sufficient intake air to let it do it's job.
If you see a max of 100c. your processor is likely throttling.

If anything is too high, what to do??

Your only two options:
  1. Buy a better cooling case.
  2. Increase the intake airflow of the front 120mm fan.
This will come at the cost of more noise.
900rpm is all but inaudible.
1200 rpm is not particularly noisy.
2000 rpm might be tolerable.
Even 6000 rpm might be possible,

A 2000 rpm normal fan might be $12.
https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-r4-c2r-20ac-gp-case-fan/p/N82E16835103061?&quicklink=true
You pay thru the nose for rgb bling, perhaps $30 more:
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-co-9050091-ww-case-fan/p/N82E16835181167?&quicklink=true

No need to do anything about the 120mm exhaust fan.
Whatever air comes in the front will eventually exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.
The rear fan is there mainly to direct airflow across the cpu cooler and graphics card.

And--- if you can put a filter on the front, your parts will stay cleaner.

Solution
thanks for all the help guys
I have the Z270 gaming K3 motherboard, so I think it does support RGB without the need for a controller? how do I check that?
Also, It'll be good if I won't spend more then 20$ on 1 fan, I guess I want 3? so that'll be 60$. But you didn't seem to relate to my heating problem, like maybe just 2 fans are all I need?
Also the question of how much CFM or RPM for a good 12nm case fan still stands.
Cuz your guys recommendations are great and thanks for that, but I also want to know how to choose ones myself for the future:)
According to the manual (https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z270-gaming-k3_e.pdf) the motherboard doesn't have RGB headers. So no RGB unless you get a controller.

For <$20 per fan and you don't mind losing the RGB feature, I recommend Noctua's NF-S12B or NF-P12. Both can be found at Amazon for less than $14 at the moment. Get the NF-S12B if the fan has to pull air from an obstructive place (like a crowded front panel). Also make sure it's the 4-pin variety as it'll offer finer control if you want to set a custom fan curve. If you don't like Noctua's tan and brown color schema, they come in gray under the "Redux" branding.

tomer fishbein

Reputable
Apr 28, 2017
can you add a link to the CPU-Z download? I've searched it and it says can't download safely or something..
also, this fan does seem to have lightning, does my motherboard support it? Is there a difference between 1 color lightning and RGB support?

Status
Not open for further replies.