Question What is a good, possibly $500 or lower build for a GT 710?

Feb 14, 2019
Hi everyone, sorry if this isn't the right way to communicate here, but a few momths back I decided (without any knowledge on how) to build a pc for gaming. Now, I decided I'd buy a used one from a thrift store cause I didn't have that good of a job, working part-time and all, earning minimum wage, so I figured it was the best for me. Overall, it's a decent looking pc with 2GB DDR3 memory, Windows 7 Ultimate, 320GB storage and a power supply which I believe was 250 watts, but no graphics card. I went ahead and did minor research and saw that I needed a low-profile graphics card, but wasn't at all sure which to get, so I went to the local computer store to ask if they sold any graphics card that could help me out. Since I didn't explain much, what I ended up with was a Nvidia GeForce GT 710 1GB DDR3, which does not match pins with my pc, and exceeds my power supply wattage. I thought of upgrading it, but the pc is slowly dying on me, and I'm too much of an amateur to fix it yet. However, now that I have the graphics card, and a tad bit more comfort around the inside of a pc, I would like to know of any tips of what parts I should get to build a low tier gaming rig based around that GT 710, so it doesn't go to waste in a a drawer. Any help, tips and recommendations are welcome. I do have a budget for this, which peaks at $500, not including the graphics card, since I already have it.

Thank you fof your attention.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
500 bucks can get you this complete, brand new PC, with components warranty,
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B450M PRO-VDH Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($49.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Rosewill - FBM-05 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($22.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.90 @ B&H)
Total: $497.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-14 05:48 EST-0500

Few words

Due to the good on-board graphics, this AMD build doesn't need dedicated GPU in it. And thanks to this, PC can be improved elsewhere, like 2x 8GB 3000 Mhz RAM and 250GB SSD as an OS drive. Also, Vega 11 is a lot better than your GT 710,
comparison: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compa...-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-11-Ryzen-iGPU/m77649vsm401440

Just use your on-board graphics and you're good. Once you have more funds, you can buy and put e.g GTX 1050 Ti into the PC to improve the gaming performance even further. PSU is a bit too powerful for this system but since it's a budget build, the Seasonic M12II-620 EVO will do fine. Also, this older Seasonic 620W unit is cheaper than newer Seasonic 550W unit (Focus+), still, M12II EVO series is good quality PSU. (My Haswell build is powered by M12II EVO series PSU but mine is 850W, full specs with pics in my sig.) Thanks to the 620W PSU, you can actually put GTX 1080 Ti into the PC if you so desire.

You can probably find the Seasonic M12 models cheaper than $60, often Newegg has rebates on them. Now actually, $40 after rebate https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151095 You won't get a better power supply for that price.

I would also get a 500 gb ssd, prices are low now, and you would want the extra space for game installations. Still get a standard drive for backups though for your files.

Toss the 710 video card, those things are really only good for adding more monitor connections to systems, they were never made for games even when new 4-5 years ago. You may able to sell it for $10,15.

You really should have checked a bit on what computer and video card to get in the first place, all the money you spend on the old PC and card are pretty much wasted, but depending on the exact PC specs you may be able to get $50 back from selling it with the video card. 2 GB or RAM and Win 7 Ultimate is a bit funny, a legal copy of Ultimate costs about $300, several times what the computer is worth, so you have a pirated Windows copy on there.

Last edited:

crystalcity

Proper
Dec 5, 2018
If you really need to put that 710 to use, you could just go buy a used office type workstation for $50. Anything more $$ than that is a severe mismatch... like they said.

TRENDING THREADS