[SOLVED] What is a good storage strategy for multiple internal M.2 and SSD drives?

Prince_

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2012
I work with a lot of image and video content for my business and have to work on and store boatloads of 4K footage more and more often and I need a convenient solution.
I am building a new threadripper system (3970X + Zenith II Extreme) and have 5 m.2 drives (4x are corsair gen 4 M600 M.2 2TB, 1 is a samsung M.2 1TB,) and 4X Samsung 4TB SSDs

Originally I thought I would do the following:
2TB M.2 for OS+Apps/Games
1TB M.2 for scratch (premiere/photoshop/cache)
Raid 0 with remaining 3x 2TB M.2 for 6TB of fast storage for in progress video projects
Raid 5 with 4X 4TB SSD for 12TB for google drive cache, common work project storage

I'll probably outgrow this scheme by the end of the year but hopefully that'll give me enough time to save up for a good external NAS

However.... I really just don't trust an internal raid even if I went raid 5 on both. I learned about AMDs StoreMI, is that a solution for something like this?

I should have thought it through a bit more but ultimately I want fast storage, that I'm able to organize in a minimal number of locations (not tons of drive letters) with some redundancy. Convenience, speed, redundancy.

What would you guys do in this situation? I'm tapped out for funds on this build so I can't buy anything else currently.

Solution
StoreMi?
Don't.

And a RAID 0 for the M.2? I'd be very careful, and only do that with a dedicated RAID controller. Not just what the motherboard provides.
I understand about wanting a single large accessible space, but RAID 0 can be very fragile.

Of course, backups are an absolute must. RAID 0, RAID 0, or no RAID at all.

USAFRet

Titan
StoreMi?
Don't.

And a RAID 0 for the M.2? I'd be very careful, and only do that with a dedicated RAID controller. Not just what the motherboard provides.
I understand about wanting a single large accessible space, but RAID 0 can be very fragile.

Of course, backups are an absolute must. RAID 0, RAID 0, or no RAID at all.

Solution