[SOLVED] What is a good temp for a 1080 GPU under full load?

GOT_Drogon_GOT

Prominent
Jun 11, 2019
My GPU temps are as followed under full load anywhere from mid 60s to 70 and idle it sits around mid 40s with the fans off. I have one fan up front pulling in and 2 on the bottom also pulling in with one 140 in the back as the exit. I’m thinking about possibly moving my computer from my desk to feet level on the desk. With 2 way SLI the temps sit about 70 under full load but for now I’m just running the one GPU and just these few days I have noticed a 3-5 temp change under load.

Solution
Under 80C is plenty safe for the GPU. If it starts getting into the mid 80's then there's some concern for thermal throttling and damage could occur in the 90's.

WildCard999

Titan
Making a custom fan curve will certainly help with temps, I usually go 100% by 75C but I've always been more strict about temps then noise.

SLI will probably get that top GPU into the early 80s (C) however that is still considered safe although may be noisy.

Magnetic dust filters would help with dust buildup and are far easier to clean over having to dust the system.

In the more extreme cases where the top GPU gets to that dangerous level you could always mount a 120mm AIO using a adapter from NZXT or Corsair.

GOT_Drogon_GOT

Prominent
Jun 11, 2019
Okay thank you both for the help I will try MSI afterburner and one more question if you guys don’t mind in my BIOS should I leave my fans on smart mode or have them at full speed?

Okay thank you both for the help I will try MSI afterburner and one more question if you guys don’t mind in my BIOS should I leave my fans on smart mode or have them at full speed?
Don't leave them at full speed all the time. That's just unpleasant and unnecessary (and will cause the fans to die off earlier). Adjust fan curves manually if you want. I have my CPU fan max out at 65C CPU temp and system fans max at about 35C System temps.

GOT_Drogon_GOT

Prominent
Jun 11, 2019
I'm not sure what to do with the fan speed update period or the force fan speed up on each period. Do you by chance have a screenshot of your settings so I can see what a custom one looks like?

GOT_Drogon_GOT

Prominent
Jun 11, 2019
So a little update I set my power limit to 120 and I put the temp limit at 60-63 and so far everything seems good! I left the fans on auto and stock didn’t add a fan curve a and gpu doesn’t go higher than the limit I set.

Making a custom fan curve will certainly help with temps, I usually go 100% by 75C but I've always been more strict about temps then noise.

SLI will probably get that top GPU into the early 80s (C) however that is still considered safe although may be noisy.

Magnetic dust filters would help with dust buildup and are far easier to clean over having to dust the system.

In the more extreme cases where the top GPU gets to that dangerous level you could always mount a 120mm AIO using a adapter from NZXT or Corsair.

I agree, 100% at 75 keeps my 2060s at about 61c under gaming load. 70-73c under stress tests.

So a little update I set my power limit to 120 and I put the temp limit at 60-63 and so far everything seems good! I left the fans on auto and stock didn’t add a fan curve a and gpu doesn’t go higher than the limit I set.

I would put the temp limit to max, you can go past 63c, the temp limit will throttle the boost clock at 63c and you are limiting performance. Unless this underclock is fine for what you do.

Reactions: GOT_Drogon_GOT
It's probably lowering it's clock speed to stay at 63. I suggest just maxing the temp limit as well, and setting a fan curve.
Here's mine, if you just want to copy off me: View: https://imgur.com/LB9xi8Y

Keeps my RTX 2070 with OC at around 70C (but is a bit noisy in doing so)

TRENDING THREADS