What is a good upgrade from 9600GT?

G

Hi guyz,

i bought my Palit 9600GT almost two years ago and i think everyone who used it agrees.....it's awesome gaming on a budget.
however with the latest games although it's still pretty impressive (Borderlands avg 35FPS) but i think i need an upgrade.
BUT i don't seem to find a decent Nvidia card from the new series, i read somewhere that the GTX275 is the same as 9600GT but with the new branding....

so what should i get that would give me the same performance 9600GT gave me when it was new two years ago? without having to spend too much money, my budget is 300$? OR should i wait a little longer hoping that a new 9600GT would appear?

Appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

rmerwede

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Hiya!

If you want to stay Nvidia, you will have to see what the 400 series brings. Im sure they will have a card in that price range, but Im not sure if it will be right away or down the line. Plus, there is not much info on them right now in terms of performance, price, and stability. If you want to go ATI, i got four numbers for that budget: 5-8-5-0! Just be sure that your system is up to date enough to handle it (i.e. processor that wont bottleneck, compliant mobo, sufficient PSU, and a case it will fit into).

cheers, and good luck!

notty22

Distinguished
A 9600gt is not a very powerful card. I made it by myself with a 8600gt for a while.
Good news for you, a ATI 4850, 4770 both around a 100 dollars would easily give your 70% more fps. If you want to spend 300 dollars you might want to give all your specs, and resolution. Whether you can or will it be worth it to buy that expensive a card.

G

1. mobutu: my mobo unfortunately does not support SLI
2. notty22: I don't live in the US, so video cards that cost around $150 - $200 in the US, would normally cost equiv to $300 in my country.
3. rmerwede: I think am gonna wait for the 400 series as you suggested, as i want to stick with Nvidia.

Thanks for the advice guyzz.

G

I'm no expert, so no need for sarcasm, no comment would have been enough from you thanks.

An HD5770 would be a very nice upgrade. It is very power efficient, DX11 compatible and should easily fit with your budget. It should be 50-80% more powerful than your 9600GT depending on resolution

1440x900 is very slightly lower res than 1280x1024;
perfrel_1280.gif

so what should i get that would give me the same performance 9600GT gave me when it was new two years ago? without having to spend too much money, my budget is 300$? OR should i wait a little longer hoping that a new 9600GT would appear?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-graphics-card,2544-2.html

The 9600 provides "Great 1680x1050 performance in most gamesl"

That's 36% higher resolution than you play at.

Given that level of performance at present, I don't see a reason to upgrade today. Come late spring, with fermi out and ATI's 5xxx series having advanced beyond the "reference design" stage, I think you will have better choices at lower prices.

That's just wrong. I've often used a 9800GT at 1280x1024 and i would call it good but far from great. For 1680x1050 just no way.
In any case he is already using the 9600GT at his resolution and feels he needs an upgrade so he should probably trust his own opinion over some blurb that goes against accepted wisdom.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
1. mobutu: my mobo unfortunately does not support SLI
2. notty22: I don't live in the US, so video cards that cost around $150 - $200 in the US, would normally cost equiv to $300 in my country.
3. rmerwede: I think am gonna wait for the 400 series as you suggested, as i want to stick with Nvidia.

Thanks for the advice guyzz.

If cards cost more where you live the GTX 400 series would cost like $1000.

G

no not that much, brand new cards usually cost $600 max like the GTX285 which is the latest card i've seen on the market here. by the time the 4xx series arrives here (which could take a long time) the price of the GTX285 price will drop and these new cards will cost $600.