[SOLVED] What is a good upgrade from an i7 cpu with 2.30 GHz and 1GB video card ram?

mdifonzo1301

Reputable
Dec 10, 2018
I’ll apologize if I’m asking this in the wrong place. I’m asking for a friend who’s upgrading their laptop. They’d like to be able to run dark souls 3 at least decently on a laptop and wanted to upgrade. I’m familiar with swapping out storages and memory, but not the rest of the components. If he wanted to upgrade from a i7 core processor 2.30ghz and Intel UHD Graphics with 1GB of video memory, where would be a good start from there? It’s also got 8gb of ram but I know how to swap it for a 16gb easy. Any suggestions of what would be a better upgrade to?

Solution
If it’s not integrated though, can it be replaced?

It is though.

Probably.

I say probably because you gave us scant details. You gave us an i7 and then just told us the clock speed. Intel has released more than a dozen i7 mobile processors with a 2.3 GHz base. UHD helps, but UHD what? That limits us to only a couple very recent Intel i7 2.3 GHz CPUs, but given the lack of information, I can't be positive that this information is even accurate.

So, until you can describe what hardware we're actually talking about, call this a speculative no. I don't believe Intel has released any mainstream mobile CPUs that weren't BGA since the Haswell era and if the information you gave us is accurate, it's a newer CPU than Haswell. And if...
I’m asking for a friend who’s upgrading their laptop.
If you want be able to change cpu and gpu, then get a desktop.
On laptops this usually is not possible (with some very rare exceptions).
Soldered in cpus are normally replaceable.
Built in graphics cards are not replaceable.
And even, if it was possible to change cpu on this specific laptop, you have to consider cooling system of the laptop. If cpu is replced with higher TDP model, then cooling system is not able to handle it anymore and cpu overheats.

TLDR - forget about upgrading cpu and gpu on a laptop.

mdifonzo1301

Reputable
Dec 10, 2018
If you want be able to change cpu and gpu, then get a desktop.
On laptops this usually is not possible (with some very rare exceptions).
Soldered in cpus are normally replaceable.
Built in graphics cards are not replaceable.
And even, if it was possible to change cpu on this specific laptop, you have to consider cooling system of the laptop. If cpu is replced with higher TDP model, then cooling system is not able to handle it anymore and cpu overheats.

TLDR - forget about upgrading cpu and gpu on a laptop.
They have a desktop at home, but not with them at uni. Would there be anything other than the memory and the cpu to replace in order to have it run slightly better?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If it’s not integrated though, can it be replaced?

It is though.

Probably.

I say probably because you gave us scant details. You gave us an i7 and then just told us the clock speed. Intel has released more than a dozen i7 mobile processors with a 2.3 GHz base. UHD helps, but UHD what? That limits us to only a couple very recent Intel i7 2.3 GHz CPUs, but given the lack of information, I can't be positive that this information is even accurate.

So, until you can describe what hardware we're actually talking about, call this a speculative no. I don't believe Intel has released any mainstream mobile CPUs that weren't BGA since the Haswell era and if the information you gave us is accurate, it's a newer CPU than Haswell. And if you were equipped to deal with a BGA soldering job -- few are -- you wouldn't even need to ask us anything!

Solution
It is though.

Probably.

So, until you can describe what hardware we're actually talking about, call this a speculative no. I don't believe Intel has released any mainstream mobile CPUs that weren't BGA since the Haswell era and if the information you gave us is accurate, it's a newer CPU than Haswell. And if you were equipped to deal with a BGA soldering job -- few are -- you wouldn't even need to ask us anything!
Even if it's "possible" is there any merit to upgrade such a laptop with such an expensive and difficult upgrade?

TRENDING THREADS