Question What is a good upgrade from the ROG Strix B350-F and a Ryzen 2600

"750w" doesn't tell us much. Actually, it tells us nothing. What is the actual model of your power supply?

What kind of budget are you wanting to throw at this and also, what is the model of your current memory kit? This matters, because not all memory kits are going to be compatible with all motherboards even if it's the right "type" of memory. And in many cases even if it technically IS validated as compatible with a certain board, it might not make sense to pair it with a particular CPU model.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

ostitcho

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
"750w" doesn't tell us much. Actually, it tells us nothing. What is the actual model of your power supply?

What kind of budget are you wanting to throw at this and also, what is the model of your current memory kit? This matters, because not all memory kits are going to be compatible with all motherboards even if it's the right "type" of memory. And in many cases even if it technically IS validated as compatible with a certain board, it might not make sense to pair it with a particular CPU model.
Sorry I just realized how poorly worded my title is I Apologize. I am looking for CPU upgrade only. Not sure about any more info on the PSU and the RAM is 16 GB DDR4 2133 I think.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The model of the PSU will be listed on the label on the side of the PSU.

What is your maximum preferred budget for the upgrade? Any CPU upgrade you do to a newer gen is going to be a waste with that 2133mhz memory, so if you upgrade the CPU I'd recommend also upgrading to something in the 3200mhz range. It's not mandatory, but you're going to be really hamstringing any newer, faster CPU with that very slow memory.

The above poster is definitely correct. If you are going to stay with am4 a bit I would recommend not going below the 5700x though. Just my opinion, but as the i5 cpus start having e cores and getting more multithreaded, in my opinion the standard 6 core multithreaded cpus become less relevant, so at least the 8 core may hold a bit longer depending how long you are keeping this pc.

ostitcho

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Agreed. You don’t want any less than ddr4 3000, but 3200 and higher is ideal. But you should be able to update the bios and get a ryzen 5000 series. I’m using a 5900x on my asrock b350.
OK that is good news, last time I looked only 3000 series was able to use. Then I found another list saying 5000 was but was not sure if I was reading it for the right mobo. I will check out the 5 series, any thoughts on RAM to go with it?

Just be sure you have the latest BIOS version (6042) before removing your old CPU.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($191.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $246.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-28 01:00 EDT-0400

Or if you want to spend a bit more and go for the 8 core model (Which, for this model, has the benefit of coming with integrated graphics as well which is a nice to have for troubleshooting future problems or to use during the interim period if you eve have to RMA your GPU):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($226.40 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $281.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-28 01:01 EDT-0400

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Last edited:
Just double check on your board’s support page about the bios. On my asrock ab350 pro 4, the bios I had to use was a beta bios that added support. On the AsRock support page the bios version I needed wasn’t listed at the top with the normal bios versions but at the bottom.

I do concur though, I considered the same thing, unless you get some kind of a deal, don’t bother with the 5700g. Not a bad cpu but if you’ve already got a gpu and are planning to game, skip the 5700g and go for the 5700x as there is a bit of performance hit.

Personally I went ahead and got the 5900x because of higher core count and more cache. However I’m not sure without looking about info on your board. Plus you’d need a better cooler. So the 5700x does make sense in that respect because it’s a 65 watt cpu.

Also, did you ever check the label on your power supply? If you let us know what it is we can provide feedback on it as you don’t want the power supply to go out and damage parts. I know you said it’s a 750 watt, but quality of units can vary. As you are upgrading and tuning you don’t want your power supply to die and take out any of your other components.

If the power supply is a decent one I think you’ll enjoy the new cpu and ram. I had a ryzen 3600 before going to the 5000 series and that was a decent pick uplift. So from a 2600 to 5700x should be a good jump to tide you over until the next pc build.

This board has a stable (Latest) BIOS release that enables 5000 series support. I've already checked it and it supports all of the 5xxx models and is BIOS version 6042. 6042 is listed as the appropriate BIOS release for all of the 5xxx series CPUs on the CPU support page as well.

Ain't no half steppin 'round here.