What is a GPT partition style?

Lenpoi

Reputable
May 29, 2015
I recently erased the hard drive of my PC, because I was going to give it away. I now find that I need it for a little longer, so have tried to re-install Windows7. I have chosen the Custom instal option, but when I select the partition to instal it on, I get the message "Cannot instal Windows on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style". Can anyone tell me how to re-install Windows? Thanks

Solution

Reyaz123

Admirable
I think its because your system does not support a gpt partition style hard drive (it can't boot from that and it needs to be converted to MBR). Put that hard drive into another PC as a secondary hard drive, open a disk management on the computer, select that gpt hard drive, click format (do not accidentally format the wrong drive).

Then, create a new simple volume and if it asks you to format the drive, select ntfs.

Place the drive back in your original computer and try reinstalling windows.

Another way to do this using diskpart (without moving the hard drive to another computer):
Boot to your windows CD, and open the repair options.
Open a command prompt
Type in:
Diskpart
list disk
Select disk (# you want to convert to MBR)
List volume
Select volume (# you want to convert to MBR)
Delete volume
Convert MBR
Reboot and try reinstalling windows on it.

Lenpoi

Reputable
May 29, 2015
Hi Reyaz
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't have a spare computer to transfer the disk to. I also can't understand why Windows7 was running on it OK until a few weeks ago before I erased it. The only thing I have done with this disk since, is to transfer an Acronis Software version of a backup of another PC onto it. But this didn't work anyhow. That's why I wanted to re-install the old operating system.
I'm still stuck, but thanks for the effort.

Lenpoi

Reputable
May 29, 2015

Reyaz123

Admirable

Solution

Lenpoi

Reputable
May 29, 2015

Hi Reyaz
I managed to use the command prompt and followed your instructions. It worked perfectly!
Many thanks