What Is a PC Cache? A Basic Definition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2022
This article is not very informative and also seems false. The article says "when buying a CPU, cache isn't that important because it's hard to correlate a CPU's cache size with your real life experience."

I say this is false because:
  1. read the Tom's hardware review of the 5800x3D which is literally the same CPU as the 5800 but with more cache; it shows a clear correlation between cache and gaming performance.
  2. hardware unboxed did a video disabling cores of an Intel i9 to show that even on Intel a small number of cores, but with the i9's amount of cache out performed i3s and i5s with the same number of cures but less cache.

It would be helpful if the article provided a typical range in the differences in latency between different levels of cache and memory. On AMD 5000 series I believe it is a factor is 10 in comparing L3 with DDR4

kanewolf

Titan
What does a PC cache do? The meaning of a PC cache explained.

What Is a PC Cache? A Basic Definition : Read more
In the most general definition, a cache is temporary storage. It might be RAM built into a CPU which temporarily stores data from main memory. It might be system RAM which temporarily stores data from disk. It might be your router, which temporarily stores DNS lookup data pulled in from the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.