What is a safe temperature for my graphics card?

Psycho633

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
I just built my first PC, and the graphics card is a Radeon R9 270. Just wondering where the temperature range should be. Generally under load playing games like H1Z1 or GTA IV I ramp the fan speed up to keep it around 55-60 degrees Celsius. Is that necessary?

Solution
No, not really unless you like noise. GPUs will operate safely up into the high 90Cs. But best to keep it in the 80Cs at max. Your temps are quite low for load temps, no doubt due to the fan being at high RPM. Leave it on auto. It will ramp up as necessary.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
No, not really unless you like noise. GPUs will operate safely up into the high 90Cs. But best to keep it in the 80Cs at max. Your temps are quite low for load temps, no doubt due to the fan being at high RPM. Leave it on auto. It will ramp up as necessary.

Solution

sriny1512

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Thank you "clutch" for the information. My GPU is Raedon 4500 series, more than 5 years old as of now. I recently upgraded my MB and CPU (Asus M5A97 R2.0 & FX-8350). I kept the old GPU. After upgrade, I checked the temperatures and found that my GPU is operating at 65 deg celcius at normal. I was thinking whether it could cause any damage to the board. I was happy to read your answer and get to know that it is normal. Thanks a lot dude.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

As long as that 65C is a load temp, you are fine. If that is an idle temp, it is quite high.

TRENDING THREADS